2 tablespoons corn starch
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
dash paprika
1 teaspoon lemon juice
2 teaspoons rice syrup
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil (olive oil doesn't work as well)

What you do: 

1. Blend together cashews, water, and corn starch, until smooth. Pour into pan and heat until very thick.
2. Place pan into ice bath to cool. Place plastic wrap right on the top of the mixture after slightly cooled.
3. When thouroughly cooled, return to blender and add remaining ingredients.
This sounds like a bit of work but is well worth it and tastes as close to Vegenaise as I've been able to come to it.

Preparation Time: 
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

Turned out great!  I used almonds and left out the sweetener.  I am so happy that I will not have to expensive Veganaise anymore.  Thank you for the recipe

0 likes

It keeps for a good two weeks easily, after that it starts getting kind of chunky. You will be able to tell when it's past it's best.

0 likes

anyone know how long this keeps for?

0 likes

I have also left out the lemon juice and I prefer it that way. Thanks again for the recipe!

0 likes

In case anyone wonders, this does NOT freeze well at all! it came out chunky once I thawed it and didn't smooth out with mixing.  Ick. :P

I think I have kept this in the fridge for about a week or two and it was still fine, but needed to be stirred after a little while.I followed someone's suggestion about dumping everything in the blender and just cooking it and it's much faster (and less cleanup) but the final product isn't quite as smooth. I have also completely left out the sweetener, add tons of onion powder, and even used almonds instead of the other nuts last time and it works great! The only other thing I've been thinking about changing is maybe soaking the nuts in the water for an hour or so before I process it to see if I can get the nuts to blend completely because with my blender I still have the occasional chunk about the size of a pencil eraser.

I love this recipe because it's so quick and easy, and you can add any seasonings that you want for fancy flavored 'mayo.' I have also used the water, cornstarch, and nuts to make the base of a fast white sauce when I was out of non-dairy milk and it works really well!

~Susanne

0 likes

Hey guys, just wondering, how long does this keep for?  I like to keep mayo around for several weeks :) would this do that?

thanks!

0 likes

I think this recipe is pretty awesome.  ;)b  I blended everything together at once and then heated the mixture until thick and it worked perfectly.  No more store-bought stuff for me!

0 likes

This worked quite well.  I followed the recipe exactly and it came out with a wonderful mayonnaise flavor (just a tad sweet.  i will use less syrup next time).  My only complaint is that mine came out very thin and pourable.  I'm not sure what I can do to thicken it next time, but what I don't use for sandwiches will make a great base for creamy dressings.  Thanks so much for sharing this!

0 likes
Anonymous

I just had to say "Thanks" for this recipe. I made it last night and made a great
sandwich out of it for lunch.
My wife even likes it and believe me that's saying something because she's not too
keen on anything new.
I left out the garlic and syrup because I wanted something as close to Hellmann's 
as I could possibly get and WOW! it's actually too close I had to refrain from putting
too much on my sandwich.
Thanks again for such a wonderful recipe.

0 likes

I wasn't too sure what to think about this when I first saw it. I like Veganaise but it's so overly fatty (like regular mayo) that I just can't eat it. I tried Nayonaise (I think that's what it's called) and it was horrible and took me quite some time to suffer through a small jar of it.

But I had everything on hand and was very pleased that this was a low fat recipe.
:)>>> This stuff is great! :)>>>

The only thing I'd change is reducing the sweetness since I used imitation honey instead of the rice syrup (perhaps the rice syrup is not as sweet), but that could also just be personal preference. But it's just like the Veganaise on sandwiches and I even added some to potato salad I made the other day and worked perfectly.

I was also pleased to see that it didn't have any tofu so I'm hoping it will freeze well but haven't tried it yet.

0 likes

Pages