1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cloves
8 tablespoons margarine, softened
1 1/2 cups maple syrup
2 egg replacers (http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=7678.0)
2 cups pumpkin (baked and mashed or puree from can)
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup pecans, chopped

What you do: 

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, and oil and flour 2 (8") round pans. Mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices.
2. In a separate bowl mix all remaining ingredients except pecans. Slowly add wet ingredients mixture into dry mixture. Add pecans.
3. Pour into prepared pans. Bake 30 minutes, or until fork comes out clean.
A vegan cream cheese frosting tastes great on this cake.

Preparation Time: 
15 minutes
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

Okay this is in the oven and I made a few changes too-I subbbed brown sugar and some almond milk (for moisture) instead of maple syrup and used oil instead of margarine.  I also left out the pecans.  I also doubled the baking powder and used all baking powder-no baking soda on hand!  I added extra cinnamon and ginger and turbinado sugar too since I was out of vanilla.  I am hoping this works. We shall see!

0 likes

This cake is yummy,  ;)b ... My whole family enjoyed it too! I received many responses that this cake would work really well as a carrot cake (if you add the carrots to the recipe) ... I heard, "I keep looking for carrots ..."

I did make a few changes to the recipe ... I used oil instead of margarine ... (I think I used 1/2 c or vegetable oil), sugar cane instead of maple syrup, canned pumpkin, I did not use baking soda, just baking powder (aluminum free), I did not use apple cider vinegar or the cloves and nutmeg, and I used walnuts instead of pecans.  This recipe was a hit with my family .... I baked it in a bundt cake and used a glaze for frosting .... I would like to try this recipe as a base for carrot cake ...

0 likes

I did not like this cake.

It did not rise at all, and I added a little extra baking soda.

I also had to bake this for 50 minutes.

I will definitely choose another recipe next time.

Once I made a couple of recipes and I did not know that you were to add water to the egg replacer first.  Then you use it in the recipe.  So just a reminder to make sure that first you create an egg replacement using the replacer and water, then you can add it to the water.  Hope that helps ... my cake is still in the oven so I will update you all after it is taken out and tested by my family.  happy baking  :)

0 likes

I thought this recipe turned out really well...I used applesause as my egg replacer, which made the cake have the perfect amount of fluffiness.

I made these into cupcakes, they are really great warmed up with a little margarine and dried fruit.

0 likes

I did not like this cake.

It did not rise at all, and I added a little extra baking soda.

I also had to bake this for 50 minutes.

I will definitely choose another recipe next time.

0 likes

I adoooore this cake.  I make it with applesauce instead of margarine and it turns out great.  the second time I made it, I wanted it to get bigger and fluffier so I added an extra half teaspoon (maybe a bit less) each of baking powder and baking soda, and it did get nice and big.  (baked goods with pumpkin can be dense and rubbery, so I prefer the extra leavening.)  once I subbed brown sugar for the maple and it worked fine - I do like more sugar, as twolff suggests.  I also use white vinegar and pumpkin pie spice.

I've made this as a cake, muffins, and bars, all with rave reviews.  I make a basic powdered sugar-soymilk-vanilla glaze and drizzle it on top instead of a thick icing - the cake itself is so tasty.  THANK YOU ktcake for this wonderful recipe!

0 likes

This definetly needed sugar added.  I added about 3/4 cup of sugar.  Other than that, splendid!

0 likes