You are here

Member since April 2003

Chocolate-Chip Oatmeal Nut Cookies

What you need: 

1/3 cup cashew butter, almond butter, or peanut butter
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 cup sugar or Sucanat (granulated cane juice)
1/3 cup nondairy milk (I use soy)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour or unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips (try Sunspire brand)
1/2 cup chopped macadamia nuts or walnuts

What you do: 

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Oil a large baking sheet; set aside. Whisk together first five ingredients (through vanilla) until very smooth.
2. Add remaining ingredients, and stir to combine (be sure to mix in thoroughly the baking soda and salt; you may want to stir these into the flour first).
3. Drop batter by large spoonfuls onto prepared baking sheet. Bake for about 8 minutes, or until tops just begin to crack. Remove sheet from oven, and wait 10 minutes before transferring cookies to a plate or wire rack.
They are great for bake sales, to serve to skeptical meat-eating friends, or just as a reward for a week of hard work!

Preparation Time: 
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

These are so good. They melt in your mouth. I added 2 tsp flax seed, I used applesauce for the oil, and I added 1/2T cornstarch. I also added a little extra flour (2T) because of the applesauce.  I used a large scoop (1T) and baked them at 375 degrees for 9 min.

0 likes

;)b

These were great! My first attempt at vegan baking and I was not disappointed.

I used peanut butter and omitted nuts. I'd like to try them with cashew butter next time. Walnuts would be great. The vanilla flavour is really strong and I think I'll cut back on that next time. It might just be my brand.

I made 12 big cookies and baked them for 12 minutes at 375. They are still very chewy but that's the way I like them. :)

Everyone has to try these!!

0 likes

These are great. And I'm not just saying that. I have been disappointed with other recipes on this sight *cough cough, happy vegan chocolate chip cookies*  ::)
But these ACTUALLY have a cookie texture. And the perfect amount of nut butter (I like almond).
The oats and chocolate chips don't stick very well to the dough so just smush it in with your hands as you make each cookie shape  ;D
These are yummy cookies that you can dip in soymilk  :)>>>

I'd post pics if they weren't already disappearing so fast...

0 likes

Oh my... this recipe is great! I made some minor changes: I used super chunky peanut butter so I didn't add the walnuts. Also, I used cut-up chunks of Baker's unsweetened chocolate squares in place of the chocolate chips. I halved the amount, too, since they didn't contain any sugar; I didn't want anybody to bite into any suddenly bitter-tasting parts (and then fail to notice how delicious this cookie recipe really is). In addition to baking at 425 degrees for 8 minutes, I put it in for another 9 minutes at 375 degrees immediately after that, because I tried a cookie after the first 8 minutes and it was still a bit too moist in the middle. The taste however, ranging from the batter stage, to the not-quite-done stage, to the final product, was great, great, and great! I will definitely be making these again. My boyfriend and I are visiting his friend today for some afternoon tea and I will be baking a batch of these to bring along :-) Thanks for sharing this great recipe!

0 likes

Fantastic recipe! I used homemade almond butter, 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 teaspoon liquid stevia, used Enjoy Life chips, and pecans. I put them on the baking sheet in tablespoons thinking they would flatten themselves, but they didn't. I like the shape anyway. I've been looking for a good vegan cookie recipe without margarine for a long time, and I've finally found "the one". Even my butter and sugar loving family liked them.

0 likes

All I can say is Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm (because I'm too busy eating all of them) :)>>>

0 likes

These were soft and chewy! I also baked mine at 375F (7 minutes for regular size, 10 for future ice cream sandwich size). The only strange part was the flavor. I used part almond butter and part sunflower seed butter. Next time I will definitely use peanut butter. Also, they don't have that yummy golden color (you eat with your eyes, right?) but I like them underdone so they stay soft.

0 likes

I baked them at 375 for 7 minutes.  They tasted great, but were just way too sweet for me.  I totally should have read the suggestions closely about the sugar >.<.  Definitely will try this again though, but with less sugar.

0 likes

This is my favorite cookie recipe  :)>>>  I have been making it for years!  I do use a bit less sugar.  Sometimes I use sunflower seed butter, since my kids go to a nut free school.  That makes the cookies a pretty shade of green  :)

0 likes

I used cashew butter with slivered almonds. I also substituted half the oil for applesauce. Also, I turned the heat down to like 375 and cooked them for roughly 7 minutes. I left them on the cookie sheet after baking for about 3 minutes and then transferred them to cooling racks. These turned out AMAZING! They're very moist and soft. Yum. I'm excited to try it out again with different variations of the butter and nuts.

The only issue I had is that I tripled the recipe (not all for me! I'm taking them with me to a party, haha) and it only made 25 pretty big cookies. Of course, I made the cookies fairly large, but still. My boyfriend, mom, brother, and I each ate 1 so I'm gonna have to make another batch! Haha... we couldn't keep out hands off them  :)>>>

0 likes

Pages