1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon sea salt
3/4 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons white vinegar
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups cool water

What you do: 

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Mix the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt) together in large mixing bowl. With a spoon, make three indentations in dry mixture; 1 small, 1 medium, and 1 large.
2. Pour oil into large indentation, vinegar into medium, and vanilla into small. Add the water and mix (do not over beat).
2. Bake for about 45 minutes or until a toothpick can be inserted and come out clean. You will want to adjust the cook time depending upon the baking pan you are using.
This recipe will yield two 9 layers, 24 cupcakes, or 1 bundt cake. The bundt cake took about an hour to bake. Just be sure to keep an eye on your cake.
This is truly the most awesome cake I have made. I baked cupcakes for my classroom using this recipe, and they loved it! Also, I tried this recipe with whole wheat flour--not so great. I would recommend sticking to all purpose flour.'

Preparation Time: 
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

Made it into a cake with coconut frosting and toasted coconut on top for my mom for mother's day!  Caked turned out a little dry, however, it was still good!

0 likes

Here are my cake balls now that the chocolate has hardened on the outside.  I was really upset that I wouldn't get to serve the cake by itself, but now that these are made up and cute-looking I'm feeling much better about the whole ordeal.  :)  I really want to try this recipe again sometime without murdering my cake after it bakes.

The cake, only minutes after its perfectly-baked glory:
http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/7328/img0546xb.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

How I salvaged the pieces:
http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/5876/img0549e.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

0 likes

I used a bundt pan, and it looked and smelled perfect.  But then I turned it out, and it fell into a crumbly mess.  I still think I might cry.  It tastes delicious.  :'(  I'm going to roll up the aftermath into cake balls (mixing with store-bought icing and rolling into balls, rolling the balls in chocolate coating...).  I'm really sad that I can't just serve the cake itself, because it would've been perfect.  But now I know--it has to cool much longer than 10 minutes before I can turn it out of the pan.  And maybe I didn't grease the pan enough.  :'(

0 likes

I made this cake for my omni husband's birthday yesterday. He still has no clue it's vegan and has been wolfing it down gleefully. SO GOOD! I've made a lot of different vegan cakes- this is the best one I've tried so far!  ;)b

0 likes

Amazing cake!! added in a lb of fresh cherries, put frosting and jam in between layers, a great spongy (not like a brick like other vegan cakes) cake!!

0 likes

I used my variation on this cake for my friends halloween wedding! I just thought I should say how fricken delicious it is, sooo much better than i remember non-veg chocolate cake to be. I also make mine with gluten free flours and smile :)

0 likes

I made this cake yesterday and replaced some of the oil with shredded zucchini; I also added more cocoa powder. Yesterday, the cake tasted really bland and gross, but after being in the refrigerator overnight with some DELICIOUS vegan frosting, it magically turned delicious :) I would recommend adding some melted chocolate to the batter in addition to the cocoa powder. The cake was reeeeally moist the next day- such a great texture!

*** This is the fudgiest, most delicious chocolate frosting I have ever tasted:
http://www.grouprecipes.com/1834/vegan-chocolate-frosting.html

I also added some coconut extract to the frosting... yummmmmm  :)>>>

0 likes

This made awesome cupcakes.  I halved it and it was perfect for 12 cupcakes.  I baked the them for about 20 mins and might try a little less next time.  Great flavor and very easy!

0 likes

This was spifferific!  Following a few of the comments so far, I replaced the water with soymilk, and the white vinegar with apple cider vinegar.  My only other modification was to add about half a teaspoon of almond extract...not necessarily because the cake needed it, but mostly because I just add almond extract to practically everything :)

I used two 9" round pans and layered strawberry preserves between the two layers, then frosted the whole thing with vanilla frosting.  It made a really dense cake (I think it didn't bake quite long enough, because I forgot what time I put it in the oven and I was impatient haha) but it is sooo moist and chocolatey I think I'll probably eat the whole thing before anyone else gets to try it.  Thanks a bunch for the recipe.

0 likes

I like the idea of using coffee insted of water. There is nothing better than coffee and chocolate.

0 likes

Pages