2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
grated rind of one lemon
1 cup (or less) sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil (not olive)
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice

What you do: 

Oil and flour a 9x9 inch pan. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and grated lemon rind.
In a separate bowl, combine vegan sugar and oil. Add the lemon juice and mix well.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry. Stir well. It makes a thick batter.
Spread the batter in the pan.
Bake for 30 minutes. Allow to cool and then cut into squares or bars.
Comment: My son introduced me to the the chocolate chip recipe posted by Denise. I love the recipe, because it is easy, the ingredients are carried by the corner grocery store, and it tastes good. I have modified it to make several different kinds of cookies. This is one of them.

Preparation Time: 
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

I made these last night and was quite happy with them. Two lovely big lemons gave me 1/4 cup of juice, and plenty of rind. I used 3/4 cup of sugar, and added a teaspoon of vanilla. The mixture was definitely a dough, not a batter, so I spooned them onto a tray instead of making squares like the recipe suggested. They spread out nicely and had an attractive crackly-looking surface. However, I overcooked them a bit. I checked them after about 12 minutes, and they looked golden - I should have taken them out then. But I turned off the oven and left them for another 3-5 minutes or so, and they did turn out a bit crunchy. I know they'll be great next time I make them - which won't be far away!

0 likes

Forgot to ask the following question regarding the lemon cake recipe:  What about substituting silken tofu for the single egg instead of egg replacer?  I've read that's possible but haven't tried it yet.  I'd appreciate hearing suggestions from others.  Thank you!

0 likes

The first time I made this I followed the recipe as written and my husband and I thoroughly enjoyed them!  I only had a 8 x 8 glass pan so that's what I used.  Today, I made them again with the following changes:  1 C. Splenda for the sugar and grated rind of two lemons instead of one.  OMGosh, they turned out fantastic!  The lemon flavor was alive and the cookies melted in my mouth.  I only hope they last until my husband gets home - ha!  I plan to try the lemon cake recipe next.  Thanks so much.  You have made us very happy!

0 likes

I modified this recipe and ended up with an awesome vegan lemon cake.

2 cups whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup rice milk
zest and juice of two whole lemons

I baked it in a 8x8 greased pan for 40+ minutes at 350F. (I had to keep checking because the middle looked wiggly still).
I topped the cake with a lemon frosting which was as follows:

2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup vegan butter
zest and juice of one whole lemon

It was amazing!  My non-vegan room mates loved it and we devoured it that same night.

easy and yummy! thanks!!

0 likes

ahh! I'm sorry, I for got to mention:

In the recipe for the cake I also added:
Egg replacer for one egg.

0 likes

I modified this recipe and ended up with an awesome vegan lemon cake.

2 cups whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup rice milk
zest and juice of two whole lemons

I baked it in a 8x8 greased pan for 40+ minutes at 350F. (I had to keep checking because the middle looked wiggly still).
I topped the cake with a lemon frosting which was as follows:

2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup vegan butter
zest and juice of one whole lemon

It was amazing!  My non-vegan room mates loved it and we devoured it that same night.

0 likes

These cookies were awesome. I also made another version because my brother doesn't like the taste of lemons. Instead of using lemon juice I microwaved peanut butter for a few seconds and used that instead only about 2 tablespoons. I haven't tried it yet but hopefully chocolate-peanut butter will work just as well.

0 likes