1 large lemon
1/2 cup margarine (melted)
1 cup brown sugar
2 egg substitutes
2/3 cup soy milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup powdered sugar

What you do: 

Mix dry ingredients (except sugars). Finely grate lemon peel and stir it in. Squeeze the lemons juice into a small bowl, mix with powdered sugar, and set aside (this is the glaze). Beat margarine and brown sugar together, add egg replacers, and add flour and soy milk. Add vanilla and mix well. Pour into a greased loaf pan and bake at 350 degrees for an hour. Let cool for at least 20 minutes, turn out onto a cooling rack, and drizzle with glaze.

Preparation Time: 
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

This was good, I had limes not lemons so I made it with those
I baked it with soy flour to lower carbs and I subbed in agave for the brown sugar, so I ended up omitting the soy milk
It came out great, I am partial to lemon and blueberry flavor pastries and cakes
I'll be making this again for sure
Thanks for the recipe :-)

0 likes

Whew!!..I had to stop myself...I almost tore it all up!!.Delicious.....Had no brown sugar so I used white. ..Awesome recipe! Thank you!!

Will double the recipe for my "large" pan next time. ;)b

0 likes

Whew!!..I had to stop myself...I almost tore it all up!!.Delicious.....Had no brown sugar so I used white. ..Awesome recipe! Thank you!!

0 likes

made this for my guys b-day cake.. added blueberry's, used blended up pineapple, oil and baking powder for egg replacer, used coconut milk for soymilk, added lemon juice to the batter like everyone else, zest of 2 lemons and made icing out of creamcheeze, lemon juice, sugar, coconut milk, flour and blueberries. i thickened the icing over heat first then added the blueberries at the end. it is super good, very tart, and kind of crumbly. it's actually really good as breakfast (yeah i eat cake for breakfast :))

1 like

made again, but subbed an orange for the second lemon and reduced sugar (slightly) and soymilk (used 1/4 cup).  like last time i didn't ice it, but instead sprinkled salt and sugar on top before baking. it's a beautiful, tasty cake that always seems to turn out perfect for me baked in a bread pan for 40 mins.  love it!  :)

0 likes

Made these yesterday and they were so easy and turned out really nice. I did as others suggested 1/2 cup soy milk and the rest lemon juice. They were not too sweet and have such a nice lemon flavor (I made cupcakes). My glaze/frosting wasn't very thick but it looked really great and tasted good as well.

0 likes

I can see why some people wouldn't like this recipe as much- it's totally more tart than sweet with 2 lemons.  I thought it was freakin amazing though.  I added blueberries to the dough (i rehydrated some dried i had on hand) and followed user suggestions of replacing some of the soymilk with a second lemon (my lemons have always been exactly 1/4 cup, for some reason).

For a beautiful finishing touch, try sprinkling white sugar on the top of the bread before baking.  after 30 minutes, sprinkle 1/2 lemon rind (finely grated) and 1/2 tsp kosher salt. i only needed 40 minutes of total baking for a super-moist cake. i'll try to get a pic up; this is definitely a repeat recipe. great lemon flavor when i'm not in the mood to make bars.

1 like

im gonna make this cake for my birthday in a few weeks (when your vegan, gotta make your own b-day cake lol)

only problem is i dont have a zester or a grater and im really poor. is the zest that important to the recipe? or can i zest a lemon with any kind of knife?

im gonna add a bunch of lemon juice to the batter like people suggested, so maybe i dont even need zest?

before i had a microplane i'd zest by scraping the fruit (pretty hard) with a serrated knife, one of the shorter ones - not a bread one.  it's more work & more time consuming but it gets the job done.

0 likes

im gonna make this cake for my birthday in a few weeks (when your vegan, gotta make your own b-day cake lol)

only problem is i dont have a zester or a grater and im really poor. is the zest that important to the recipe? or can i zest a lemon with any kind of knife?

im gonna add a bunch of lemon juice to the batter like people suggested, so maybe i dont even need zest?

0 likes

This recipe did not go over very well. It tasted pretty yummy but it ended up kind of raw throughout. It was for my sister's bday and she didn't mind but my mom couldn't stop complaining, using it as another reason she doesn't like vegan food. Oh well, you wind some and you lose some (or you never had them). :-\

0 likes

Pages