2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice or allspice
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup light brown cane sugar
3/4 cup cane sugar
3 egg equivalents (e.g., Ener-G Egg Replacer)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup vegetable oil
2 cups carrots, finely grated
1 can (14 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
1 cup shredded coconut
nuts and raisins, optional Faux Cream Cheese Frosting:
1 (8 ounce) package vegan cream cheese
1/3 cup vegan margarine, softened (I use EArth Balance)
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups vegan powdered sugar

What you do: 

1. Preheat oven to 350 degree Fahrenheit. For cake, in a medium bowl, mix flour, baking soda, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, and salt.
2. In a large bowl, mix sugar and egg replacer until creamy (works best with an electric mixer), then add vanilla, followed by vegetable oil. Mix wet and dry ingredients together. Stir in carrots, pineapple, and coconut. Add nuts and raisins, if using.
3. I prefer a thicker cake, so I used a 9" x 9" glass pan. But if you prefer thinner cake with more servings, use a 13" x 9" pan. Grease pan.
4. Smooth batter into pan. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Be sure to let the cake adequately cool before frosting.
5. For frosting, with an electric mixer, beat cream cheese and margarine. Add vanilla, then add sugar.
This entire recipe tastes just like the real thing! It just made it last night and it is so delicious!

Preparation Time: 
20 minutes, Cooking time: 40 minutes
Cooking Time: 
40 minutes
Servings: 
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

OMG this is so yummy and moist! I'm so happy how it turned out! I used 1/2 cup coconut oil and 1/2 heaping cup of apple sauce. I did use coconut, raisins, the pineapple and the recipe for the frosting and topped with dyed coconut for Easter. Oh n I also made them into egg shaped cupcakes and regular cupcakes and cooked 20 mins. Perfect time. I highly recommend and will def make these again! 

0 likes

This made an exceptionaly moist, delicious cake!  Loved the touch of pineapple & coconut... Thanks for sharing this recipe.

0 likes

'

0 likes

So...I made this one for my son's birthday party...a few muffins days before as a test.  It was not only delicious, but it looked fabulous!  I substituted the sugar with xylitol and the brown sugar with raw coconut crystals.  Other than that, I followed the recipe to the letter.  I used walnuts & dried cranberries...mmmmm.  For frosting, I used my coffee grinder to powder the xylitol and used a basic "making powdered sugar" recipe which I googled.

1 like

I made the cake yesterday but halved the recipe just in case it wasn't a hit.... what a joke! Making the full recipe right now for them all! Didn't put in pineapples instead put in dried cranberries and some chocolate this time.
Great recipe! thank you :)

0 likes

Thanks for this recipe. I love this cake! I do change a couple of things though,to try to make it a tad bit healthier. I use whole-wheat flour (it turns out just fine) and 1/4 cup instead of 3/4 cup for the sugars. For the 3 egg equivalents I use 1/4 cup of puréed prunes, and I omit the pineapple. Instead of the frosting I lightly glaze the baked cake with some agave syrup (1/2 tbsp should just about do it) and then sprinkle on some chopped roasted almonds. I had never baked or even eaten carrot cake before this recipe, and now I'm a sucker for it - plus it's really easy to make!

1 like

Love this cake! I've made it twice now and FINALLY
figured out to keep the Cream Cheese Frosting THICK!
Try mixing it by hand with a large spoon. Use the same order of ingredients
but skip using an electric hand mixer! It breaks it down way too much
and you'll end up with an icing rather than a frosting!
It just takes a bit longer to get the tiny lumps out, but worth it in the end!

0 likes

hot damn, this is a mighty fine cake!!  i barely had enough batter from lickin the spoon so much  :)>>>

1 like

My mum made this for me for my birthday :)
It was pretty freakin' good. Mmmmmmmmmm. I ate nearly half the cake myself!
All my non-vegan friends at the party (and my extremely anti-vegan brothers) loved this cake too! I made my mum add extra walnuts and omit the raisins.
Mm. I wish I had more!

0 likes

This was SO good! I highly recommend it to anyone! Vegan or not!  ;)b

Thank you for sharing this recipe!!!!!!!

0 likes

Pages