You are here

Member since April 2003

Cream Puffs!

What you need: 

1 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar (or baking powder)
2 tablespoons margarine (such as Spectrum)
equivalent of 4 eggs (2 tablespoon Ener-G Egg Replacer whipped until stiff with 1/3 cup water)
1 cup soy milk

What you do: 

Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Prepare baking sheet--either parchment paper or a non-stick pan. Prepare egg-replacer. Stir together flour, vegan sugar, salt, cream of tartar. In a sauce pan (non-stick works well), bring the soymilk and margarine to a boil, stirring constantly. Add the flour all at once, and reduce heat to low. Stir constantly until the dough forms a ball that pulls away from the pan and the spoon and is glossy and smooth. Working quickly, remove from heat and add the Ener-G Egg Replacer, about a third at a time, beating well after each addition until the dough is glossy, smooth, and pulls away from the pan.
Shape the puffs as desired--I made mini-puffs about a rounded teaspoon each. Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes, then lower heat to 350 for another 10 minutes, then turn off oven and allow to cool, with door slightly cracked for another 20 minutes, then cool completely on wire racks before serving or filling. As noted, I made small, little mini puffs. For larger puffs you might try longer time at each temp. or try 450/350. These come pretty darn close to the original and were great filled with vegan chocolate pudding. You could add a little more vegan sugar for a sweetener puff or add espresso powder for flavor.

Preparation Time: 
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

???I am not sure what happened as I followed the recipe but my cream puffs did not puff. :'(I was very disappointed with my glue tasting little hard lumps.  What do I need to do?

0 likes