You are here

Member since April 2003

Super Quick Vegan Choco-Chip Cookies!

What you need: 

Dry Ingredients (use vegan versions):
2 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (regular flour works too but produces an anemic looking, less wholesome cookie)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup vegan chocolate chips
Wet Ingredients (use vegan versions):
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla

What you do: 

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Mix together all the dry ingredients in one bowl and all the wet ingredients in another. Once they are combined in the two bowls, make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients. Mix the two together until they are well combined then spoon the batter into good sized lumps on a baking sheet and then put them in the oven and let them bake for about 15 minutes. Cool and enjoy. The best part about these cookies is that since there are no eggs, you can go ahead and eat as much dough as you want. Yum! A great recipe for those with little kids who like to help cook.
*Variation: you can easily turn these into vegan oatmeal raisin cookies by using only 2 cups of flour, 1/2 cup of oats, and 1 cup of raisins instead of the chocolate chips. They are equal

Preparation Time: 
10 minutes
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

Made these tonight after promising my husband I'd make vegan cookes (we were at a party and passed on birthday cake b/c it was not vegan and he felt deprived, haha).  They were quick and easy to make.  I made them exactly like the recipe says, and they are great!  Next time I will take them out of the oven right at 15 minutes (I kept them in nearly 20) and they'd have been a bit chewier and less dry, but that's not a complaint.  They were delicious!  Thanks for the recipe!

0 likes

I made these May 6th, with the oats. Tasty! However, I replaced the maple syrup with 1/3 cup agave nectar because I forgot I was replacing maple syrup instead of sugar and the first batch was really dry because of this. With the next batch I added rice milk to make up for it, and I added 1 tsp of orange extract. That made them really good!  ;)

0 likes

Thanks so much! I think I'll try them. I have a crazy addiction to cookies. I do great all week and then the weekend comes and I have to make tons of cookies and, well, eat them...I give them out to homeless people on the way to work on Monday morning usually! I know it's not the most healthy thing for their breakfast, but then again, a vegan cookie is probably better than slop from a garbage can, or McD's. My 'regulars' like them lol- sorry I'm rambling. Back to baking!

0 likes

Can I sub regular syrup, you know the cheap boring SWEET kind for pancakes? I have some vegan stuff and truthfully I don't eat pancakes enough lol...or I have rice syrup I think....I would hate to sub any sweet syrup and find out it may not turn out right. Thanks!

You definitely don't want to use pancake syrup, it wouldn't bake properly. You could try rice syrup, but keep in mind the flavor will be quite different; however, I'm sure it would be fine, because even though it calls for a full cup of maple syrup, I didn't think the maple flavor was too central. Give it a shot!

0 likes

Can I sub regular syrup, you know the cheap boring SWEET kind for pancakes? I have some vegan stuff and truthfully I don't eat pancakes enough lol...or I have rice syrup I think....I would hate to sub any sweet syrup and find out it may not turn out right. Thanks!

0 likes

I am also a fan of the Happy Vegan Chocolate Chip cookies, but I made these cuz I had a lot of maple syrup I wanted to use. They are not so good, but not bad either. They have a weird texture, odd flavor, and funky shiny appearance. After tasting the first batch, I saved the rest of the dough to eat raw, because the dough was rather tasty. Too bad! :-/

0 likes

Thanks for standing up for the bees!!!!!!!

0 likes

These were pretty good. I think the maple syrup may have been a little strong in flavor though. I tried using a teaspoon of cinnamon to cover it up but i think i might have just made things worse. I baked mine for 9 min and they turned out well. I think maybe I'm just too attatched to the Happy Vegan Chocolate Chip cookie recipe on this site.

0 likes