What you need: 

1 pound soft tofu, drained
1/2 cup nondairy milk
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla, lemon, or almond extract
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 9" vegan graham cracker crust

What you do: 

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Combine all ingredients except crust into a blender and blend until creamy.
2. Pour all ingredients into cracker crust.
3. Bake for 30 minutes. Finally, put in fridge or freezer until chilled.'

Preparation Time: 
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

I made this recipe as directed but with firm silken tofu, and I also added a tub of Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese (vegan cream cheese) and did not come out with a tofu-tasting cake at all; my boyfriend, who is by no means vegetarian, really enjoyed it too!!

0 likes

Maybe it was the brand of tofu I used, but this tasted very "beany" to me  :(

0 likes

This was amazing! Made it for my mom's birthday dinner (everyone there was a meat/dairy eater) and she's diabetic so I made it a *tad* bit more okay for her by using 1/3 cup of agave in place of sugar, and also replaced the maple with it. Used extra firm tofu like other reviewers said to do, a tiny splash of almond milk, and 2 lemons (juice and zest) then more juice from a bottle until my mom thought it was lemony enough. Also added maybe half a tablespoon of cornstarch just in case (i couldn't risk it being runny when I needed it in five hours!). It turned out perfect. For the crust I just crushed up a bunch of cat cookies that I found at Trader Joe's that looked graham-y and mixed in 1/4 cup of smart balance light. Everyone loved it and thought it tasted like "the real thing". Though, I thought it wasn't as smooth, but it was still great!

0 likes

I'm going to need to try this recipe with firm tofu. I tried cutting a piece for breakfast this morning and the "cheesecake" part just oozed out and the crust had turned to mush. I've never made cheesecake before so I don't know if it's my fault for not baking it enough or what...but it wasn't eatable. :( I wanted so bad for this to work. And yes, I did use silken tofu because it was all I had. I must try it with firm...so that means I have to go shopping now. lol

0 likes

I never use silken. I would assume soft means "soft regular" unless specifically noted as silken in recipe. Once you process it in a blender or food processor it is as smooth and creamy as silken and in my opinion firms up better.

0 likes

This recipe worked beautifully for me. I used 300g of soft tofu and added 1tbsp. banana essence and 1/2tbsp. vanilla. It came out like a custardy banana cream pie. Not cheesecake-y, but easy and delicious.

0 likes

This was very simple, yet decadent vegan dessert. I would make this for others should the occasion arise. I took others advice and used firm tofu and also added a dash of nutmeg. It didn't taste "tofu"y at all to me. Granted, it has been a while since I've had cheesecake, but this really hit the spot. Who cares if it's completely authentic it is cruelty-free goodness at its best! I was even surprised by the crust (I can never find a vegan graham cracker crust in stores.) I made a homemade version using oats, almonds, a little sugar and margarine. It came out very good for an experiment.  :P Thanks for this recipe!

0 likes

I made this for my non vegan husband for his birthday because he loves cheesecake so much. It looked wonderful but tasted so bad. It made both are stomachs hurt. We ended up throwing the whole thing out. It was pretty disappointing.

0 likes

this recipe was amazinlgy easy to partake in. reading the user comments, i decided to try my silken tofu anothre time and used 14oz of firm tofu. i then added about 2/5 cup of sugar and 2/5 cup of soymilk, just to see how it would be. since i was bored i added some chocolate chips in the blender with everything else. popped it in the oven for 35 minutes and drizzled it with some syrup.. now its in the fridge. i hope it turns out as good as it tasted in the blender!

0 likes

After reading that people were having trouble with the consistency, I used firm tofu.  It was still liquid when I took it out of the oven, but after refrigerating overnight it firmed right up.  It didn't really taste like cheesecake, so I made strawberry topping for it.

0 likes

Pages