You are here

Member since April 2003

Blueberry Oatmeal Breakfast Cake

What you need: 

1 1/3 cups flour (up to 1/2 may be whole wheat)
3/4 cup quick cooking oats
1/3 cup sugar or substitute
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup nondairy milk (I use soy)
1/4 cup applesauce
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 cup frozen blueberries (or fresh if you have them)

What you do: 

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In medium mixing bowl, combine flour, oats, vegan sugar, baking powder and salt.
2. In another bowl, combine milk, applesauce and cornstarch. Pour this wet mixture into the dry mixture all at once. Stir until just moistened (batter will be lumpy).
3. Fold in the blueberries, spoon batter into a nonstick 8 x 8" baking pan. Bake 20-25 minutes, cool on rack 5-10 minutes, serve warm.
Even though this is called breakfast cake, it is very yummy at any time of the day. Moist and chewy!!!

Preparation Time: 
15 min
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

I tried this recipe yesterday. I followed the recipe, but used banana instead of applesauce and added almond extract as was suggested by other comments. However, it wasn't too tasty though. I will try to make it again and add more sugar next time to see how it comes out.

0 likes

I love this stuff! My wife's parents gave us about 30 cups of arronia berries - which we had never even head of before. They look pretty much like blueberries, so figured they could probably be used the same way. So we've been living off of this cake, but it's so good and actually fairly healthy.

The only changes we made were less sugar (only 1/4 or a bit less), the berries (I'm sure any type would be yummy), and almost entirely whole wheat flour.

0 likes

Wow... Now that's a tasty treat! I used fresh picked blackberries instead of bluebs. This recipe is Grandma approved (by my friend's grandma).

0 likes

Yum! I had a few alterations:

- I used "apple cinnamon" instant oatmeal for the oats.
- I used a banana instead of apple sauce.
- I also added a tsp of vanilla and 1/3 extra cup of sugar.
- I spread Earth Balance on top.

It was pretty good =) My non-vegan boyfriend & mom both approved.

0 likes

This was delicious. I've made it twice within two days because everyone's ate all of it. Both times I just added cinnamon and ginger to spice it up, and reduced the sugar to 1/4 cup and the flour to 1 1/4 cups. Love it :)

0 likes

This was pretty good.  I think it could use some spices since it was bland.  It freezes well which is good because I am the only one that will eat it.

0 likes

Made this again to celebrate a birthday during a morning meeting.  This time I followed the recipe exactly and doubled it.  Too good!  Three posts in a row just shows how in love I am with this cake.

0 likes

Just finished off my cake and I am happy with how moist it stayed until the bitter end.  Awesome with blueberry tea.

0 likes

I replaced the 1/4 cup of applesauce with blueberry jam, which gave my cake a nice purple-blue color.  The texture and flavor are great.  I was hoping for a bigger cake, so my only complaint is the amount that this recipe made.

0 likes

Such a great breakfast cake. I was all out of quick oats so i used old fashion and increased soy milk to about 1 cup and removed the cornstarch and it came out fine. Very moist and delicious.

0 likes

Pages