You are here

Member since April 2003

Banana Loaf

What you need: 

1/3 cup of non dairy margarine (preferably Spectrum)
1 and 1/2 cups of white sugar
6 ripened bananas
2 and 1/3 cups of flour
3 teaspoons of baking powder
3/4 cups of light brown sugar (packed)

What you do: 

Melt Spectrum over low heat and pour into large bowl. Add vegan sugar and mix thoroughly. In seperate bowl mash all 6 bananas until smooth and creamy. Add mashed bananas to vegan sugar and spectrum mixture and mix until smooth. Add flour and baking soda and mix until entire mixture is incorporated.
Pour into lightly greased and floured 13x9 inch cake pan and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes take out of the oven and sprinkle brown vegan sugar evenly over top of loaf. Bake for an additional 20 minutes. At the end of the 20 minutes, turn on broiler and keep loaf under broiler until the brown vegan sugar is all melted and carmalized. Take out of the oven and let it cool thoroughly before enjoying.

Preparation Time: 
10-15 mins
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
12-15
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

I learned a valuable lesson while making this loaf:  use smaller pans in a toaster oven!  It took forever to cook (over 3 hours), but I'm sure you won't have that problem in a regular oven.  It was very tasty though!  And I did not have any brown sugar, so I sprinkled the top with cinnamon sugar instead. 

0 likes
Anonymous

Use baking powder in this recipe - baking soda requires a liquid "acid" with which to mingle (i.e. lemon juice, vinegar)  in order to provide proper leavening, and this recipe appears to to be devoid of such.

For a geeky, but interesting, explanation of the differences between baking soda and baking powder, go here:

http://chemistry.about.com/cs/foodchemistry/f/blbaking.htm

Cheers.

is it baking soda or baking powder?

the ingredients list says powder, but the recipe says soda...??
hmpf

0 likes

is it baking soda or baking powder?

the ingredients list says powder, but the recipe says soda...??
hmpf

0 likes

This calls for ALOT  of sugar!! I bet you could safely cut back on the amount...
The cake itself is very yummy and moist but i personally didn't dig the brown sugar top. Next time i will try it with a streusal type topping and maybe some choc chips in there! yum!
Also, i added: 1 t. vanilla extract
              1 t. salt
              and cinn. and nutmeg (prob. about 1 t. each, but next time i will add more)
Verry good though.

0 likes

This turned out awesome! I loved it!!! YUM!!!

0 likes