You are here

Member since July 2006

Sweet Potato Biscuits

What you need: 

1 cup cooked sweet potato (canned is okay but drain WELL)
1 cup flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 tablespoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt (sea or regular)
4 tablespoon oil
1/4 cup toasted sunflower seeds (pumpkin works well, experiment for yourself.

What you do: 

1. Mash sweet potato well.
2. Add dry ingredients and oil. Mix well.
3. Add seeds.
4. Form into 6 biscuits; shape gently with your hands.
5. Bake 15-25 min. in 375 oven.
As with all recipes, the cooking time varies with your oven and the flour will need to be adjusted with your using baked sweet potatoes or canned and of course, the humidity.

Preparation Time: 
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

This was really good :) I had a BIG sweet potato so I ended up making one original batch (but 1/2 the salt) and one sweet batch (splenda and half the salt). Both are great depending on your taste and what you plan on eating with them. I also used milk-free margarine instead of oil, some of which I melted and brused it on the top once they were cooked. Yummy!

0 likes

Fantastic! I'm a sucker for sweet potatoes so this recipe immediately peeked my interest. Was very easy to make and really does taste like a buttery biscuit. yum yum

0 likes

Mine turned out really tasty with the addition of sugar and using walnuts instead of sunflower seeds, but they are incredibly dense and not very biscuit-like.  I still like them a lot and will probably make them again, playing with the recipe a bit more.

0 likes

Sooooo.. I made these with no salt, no baking soda, a tablespoon of raw sugar, a bunch of cinnamon and threw in some raisins and walnuts... They were not that tasty. Jazzed up with some butter and syrup they worked but otherwise eh.. They were a bit bitter, maybe more sugar next time? Wish I had maple syrup to throw into the batter. They sound like a good idea so I'll try them again.

0 likes

These were good.  I love sweet potatoes and this recipe caught my eye.  I followed the recipe, except I added 1 tsp sugar instead of 1 tsp salt and they came out really well.

They are versatile.  I served them for breakfast with some maple syrup and then I ate them later plain. 

0 likes

so good.  i followed shiris suggestions but ended up having to add a few splashes of soymilk to get it to the consistency where i could form it into balls.  i microwaved the potato (which may have dried it out, leading to me needing to add the soymilk) , and this whole process was super easy.  i baked them for about 20 minutes and they are delicious!  fresh baked biscuits in a half hour - thank you for this recipe!!

0 likes

Waw, sweet potato biscuits, I can't wait to try them, I am going to make them now. I think I would leave out the baking soda, since they are not good for your health. think about it, something that you use to clean your house, can't possibly be good for your stomach! But if I were to use baking soda, I'd use Ener G baking soda.

Maybe I must use some nutritional yeast flakes, to give it a cheesy sweet taste, humm... I'll see.

Will be back to give me review after trying, but thanxs anyway for the recipe.

0 likes

These taste nice with apricot jam :). I think I will try making them with sugar next time.

0 likes

next time i will make these with sugar instead of salt, they didnt seem to need salt

0 likes