You are here

Member since April 2003

Chapatis That Work

What you need: 

1lb Chapati Flour
Boiling Water
Salt

What you do: 

Put Chapati flour and salt into a bowl, and pour on boiling water. Stir with a fork to a stiff dough until its cool enough to handle, and then knead for five minutes. Roll a plum size chunk into a thin round and put onto a very very hot skillet or dry frying pan. Getting them to puff up is all in the timing, and if they don't rise they are very heavy.
First side: seven seconds Second side: until small bubbles come up (~1cm) Back onto first side: they should now suddenly puff up completely.
If they spring a leak you can hold the leaky part down so the rest comes up, or encourage the whole thing by pressing lightly with a tea towel. Once you've got the hang of it you can roll one while the first is cooking, and keep them moving. The Indian woman next door to me used to throw them quickly straight on the flames quickly on each side at the end, but that's an advanced technique.
Butter, or smear with whatever your religion allows, and tear off sements to wrap up a juicy curry.

Preparation Time: 
20 mins
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

These are so awesome! I just wish there were a bit more information and direction in this particular recipe. Mine turned out great, but again, this recipe doesn't say much and I personally don't use a pound of flour when I make them. Do these store well? How long do they last? Can I freeze the dough? Please advise!  :-\

0 likes