1/4 teaspoon soy sauce
olive oil, as needed
1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
1/4 cup onions, diced
1/4 cup green pepper, diced
1/4 cup red pepper, diced
salt, to taste

What you do: 

1. Crumble tofu into a bowl to look like pieces of scrambled eggs. Add soy sauce and turmeric to the bowl and blend well, set aside.
2. In a frying pan, sauté garlic and onions in olive oil until translucent. Add peppers and continue sautéing until soft.
3. Add tofu mixture to pan and sauté together until it looks like scrambled eggs. Season, to taste.
This is a fairly simple recipe, and I like it as is with the bacon and toast on the side. This is also great served with potatos in a breakfast burrito or with any other ingredients you can think of.

Preparation Time: 
20 min
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
1-2

SO HOW'D IT GO?

awesome recipe, quite filling* had it with a small salad as lunch* but i used redwine vinegar because i didnt have apple cider vinegarCool

0 likes

KGBC93 you're an idiot! Don't comment if you are truly that stupid!

0 likes

So this really turned out better than expected! We did use some beautiful, organic veggies and nice tofu too. We also used Bragg's aminos and some nutritional yeast, skipping the soy sauce, but we like it either way. At first we thought that it might not be so great 'cause I chased a spider into the kitchen while the wife was making this (quite the chef). Normally no big deal, but I had a bottle of that bug spray with an electric power nozzle and it sort of got away from me! That stuff hit the food, the corner of the wife's eye, what have you. It's really an automatic weapon is what it is. So of course her cigarette goes into the pan she was so surprised She almost swatted it out of the way but nope. Anyway, long story short, what could have been kinda bad was really good, all said! Also, you can try some wines to your own taste with this, but we had Pepsi cause we are trying to cut back on the wines and bourbon, whatnot. Thanks so much for a good recipe, seriously, Kyle

0 likes

This is so good. I usually make it into an omelette because I miss eating them.

Tino, HOW did you get your tofu omelette to stick together so beautifully???  Do you add other ingredients, or is it all about technique?  I'm highly impressed and would love to make a vegan omelette that looks that yummy.

I was wondering that, too! I just bought this omlette maker I saw at bed, bath, and beyond... it's like a mini double sided frying pan! I'm so excited... I'll post pictures if it works!

0 likes

I liked this, but my husband wasn't a fan of the texture. This was actually my first tofu scramble, and I wanted to use Tino's method, but realized my tofu was going to be too watery (nigari). I added Braggs, turmeric, s, p, garlic powder, and a little nut. yeast to the tofu, and mashed it up, then added green onions, mushrooms, and tomato once the tofu had been in the pan a bit. I think it would have been perfect if it was a bit firmer. Good with hashbrowns.

0 likes

Sooooo, I have always hated the texture and taste of eggs.. And it took me a while to get used to tofu because of it's slight resemblance. Do you guys think it would be a waste of tofu for me to try this dish, like does it come out a similar texture and taste?

0 likes

little2ant - I mash it up with a potato masher, with the soy sauce & seasonings in there. :) then the whole pile of mush goes in the pan & gets flattened out.

I must try your method.  Thanks for sharing the details with us!

0 likes

little2ant - I mash it up with a potato masher, with the soy sauce & seasonings in there. :) then the whole pile of mush goes in the pan & gets flattened out.

0 likes

do you just crumble the tofu like the directions or do you put it in a food processor to smooth it out?

lol, thanks folks
I think when I took that, it was a particularly good one haha...but when I make these, I put the tofu mix in the pan first and let it fry in some oil on med-hi, and press it down with the spatula to help it stick together & lay flat. Once the bottom & edges start getting light brown, I put the veggies onto the tofu omelette and cover it (I usually put things like broccoli in) After 10 min or so it's done. Sometimes the middle is softer and crumbles, but you figure out what kind of tofu works best after trying different ones. I usually use either PC medium tofu (not silken) or firm if it's a wetter kind. :) hope that's somewhat helpful

0 likes

lol, thanks folks
I think when I took that, it was a particularly good one haha...but when I make these, I put the tofu mix in the pan first and let it fry in some oil on med-hi, and press it down with the spatula to help it stick together & lay flat. Once the bottom & edges start getting light brown, I put the veggies onto the tofu omelette and cover it (I usually put things like broccoli in) After 10 min or so it's done. Sometimes the middle is softer and crumbles, but you figure out what kind of tofu works best after trying different ones. I usually use either PC medium tofu (not silken) or firm if it's a wetter kind. :) hope that's somewhat helpful

0 likes

Pages