1/2 cup dried fruit
2/3 cup chopped nuts (I use pecans)
1/2 tablespoons cinnamon
2 medium bananas, mashed
1 liquid egg replacer (I use Ener G)
1/3 cup canola oil
1-2 tablespoons agave nectar

What you do: 

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a cookie sheet. Combine all the dry ingredients and mix well.
2. Add mashed bananas, prepared egg replacer, oil and sweetener and mix well until blended and mixture is sticky. Add water, as needed for a sticky consistency.
3. Shape dough into bars on prepared cookie sheet, making the bars about 1/3" thick. I would definitely recommend shaping all the bars at one time, because the longer the dough sits, the stickier it gets.
4. Bake for 15 minutes.
I make these for my husband in lieu of buying him store bought breakfast bars. They are healthier and cheaper.

Preparation Time: 
10 minutes
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

Just made my second batch of these bars.  I used Chia flour instead of Flax meal.  They are so good and I feel like they give me energy all morning long. 

0 likes

Amazing. Ever since I ate a breakfast bar from Gotham Cafe in New York City, I have relentlessly been trying to copy it. I adjusted this recipe and this is as close as it gets! Omitted nuts and substituted1/3 cup of almond butter for the canola oil. Spread the batter in an 8x8 pan lined with parchment and baked for 25-30 minutes. 

0 likes

I made these this morning, and they are very good!
They are not very sweet, but the dried fruit is what makes up for it.
I put in half of a gala apple, chopped, and then 1/4c of chopped dates. It would have been a lot better to put in more, but I ran out!

I also substituted applesauce for the oil and 1T flaxseed with 3T water for the egg, then I used walnuts for the nuts.

Overall an easy and very healthy dessert for me!

0 likes

I made these this morning, and they are very good!
They are not very sweet, but the dried fruit is what makes up for it.
I put in half of a gala apple, chopped, and then 1/4c of chopped dates. It would have been a lot better to put in more, but I ran out!

I also substituted applesauce for the oil and 1T flaxseed with 3T water for the egg, then I used walnuts for the nuts.

Overall an easy and very healthy dessert for me!

0 likes

these are good, i used dried orange infused cranberries and almonds, and sub'd the agave for maple syrup. my daughter was tickled when i told her she could eat them for breakfast. the recipe made 16 bars for us.

0 likes

^^^ also, cant forget the vegan chocolate chips!

0 likes

these are my new clif bars! yayay : D i used protein powder instead of flax seed meal, craisins, pecans, walnuts, and 7 tbs of applesauce instead of the oil and egg like another suggestion said.  these are LOADED, thank you thank you!

0 likes

This is one of my favorite recipes.  I've lost count of how many times I've made it, and I've shared it with a few friends as well.  For egg replacer, I use some all-natural apple sauce (since it was the only kind I could find that wasn't loaded with high-fructose corn syrup), and I've tried it with various types of nuts and fruit, and all have turned out great. :)

0 likes

Quick question-- when to cut? Before baking or after?  

0 likes

You can use date paste or prune paste in place of the banana. I made these and dehydrated them. It was too banana-y for me. So I used dates that I soaked over night, pitted them and blended them into a paste. Use the soak water from the dates to keep the batter moist if it is too dry. You can use prunes too. Make sure your dates  or prunes have not been treated with sulfur. I also used Hemp oil and coconut oil inplace of the canola oil.  Very tastey!

0 likes

Pages