Member since April 2003

Yummy Breakfast Tofu

What you need: 

3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
salt and pepper, to taste
2-4 thick slices firm tofu
1 tablespoon olive oil

What you do: 

1. Put nutritional yeast on a plate, season to taste with salt and pepper.
2. Dip tofu slices in mixture. Saute at medium heat in oil until coating is brown and crisp, and tofu is heated through.
3. Drain on paper towel (or not if you don't mind oil).
Eat alone or on whole-grain toast with ketchup.
Amazing!!!

Preparation Time: 
5 mins
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

YUMMM!! This has been my go to breakfast tofu recipe once I found it on here. I'll fry up a whole block of these and then store them in the fridge and pull one out in the morning, pop it in the toaster oven along with an english muffin, slather on some hummus, sprouts, avocado, sometimes a tomato..AWESOME breakfast sandwich to go when you're short on time in the morning! Thanks for the recipe!

What a great idea! I had just been making 2 sices at a time, but totally plan on making some up in advance and trying some of those toppings. Great recipe - just added a few spices for personal preference, but it's delicious without anything extra as well.

0 likes

I agree, this is super yummy!  I was just wondering though, if someone could give me any insights as to what I might be doing wrong -- my coating always falls off.  It still comes out yummy (I've just been putting it on an english muffin w/ a little Earth Balance spread), but the coating always kinda clumps up and then falls off.  Anyone?  :-\

0 likes

YUMMM!! This has been my go to breakfast tofu recipe once I found it on here. I'll fry up a whole block of these and then store them in the fridge and pull one out in the morning, pop it in the toaster oven along with an english muffin, slather on some hummus, sprouts, avocado, sometimes a tomato..AWESOME breakfast sandwich to go when you're short on time in the morning! Thanks for the recipe!

0 likes

This might be good on a sandwich, but I didn't like it alone. I ended up pouring syrup on it and saving the rest.  I had sliced it thin, but it was just bland. I will definitely try it again on a sandwich of some sort.  I love tofu, but this was just too blah plain. :-\  Good starting point to experiment.

0 likes

Mmm... I've been making this again this week and have forgotten how simple yet wonderful this is.  This time I used medium/soft tofu and added Trader Joes' "21 Seasoning Salute" seasoning to the mixture.  I love that I can eat this as a sandwich on my way to work (cooked the night before and reheated in the morning).  Thanks again for such a great idea.

0 likes

These are pretty tasty, and super easy (who wants to work hard for their first meal of the day?). I didn't care for them on toast with ketchup. I like them plain, with some vegan bacon and buttered english muffin on the side. Tofu sandwiches and I just don't seem to get along.

0 likes

pretty tasty  ;)b i added braggs,garlic powder and chili powder and topped it off with salsa, b/c nothing's ever spicy enough for me

0 likes

I made this awhile back and forgot to review it. It was ok. I think I didn't like the texture of biting into big pieces of tofu. But that's just me, big pieces of food freak me out. I did give this to the 18 month old boy I nanny and he liked it alot, eating all of his and some of mine, he has very sophsticated tastes so I'd say its a success!

0 likes

I absolutely love this!!! I added just a little onion and garlic powder to the mix and it was great!! This morning I topped it with "cheese sauce" and salsa and put it on  whole wheat bread!!! Love it!!!

0 likes

Yum, these were good.  I ate mine in a tortilla with refried beans, potatoes and a little hot sauce.  I used extra-firm tofu.  Great, simple recipe.

0 likes

Pages