Lima Beans and Rice

What you need: 

3 tablespoons flour
1-2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, diced
2-4 garlic cloves, minced
1 large red or yellow bell pepper, diced
1 pound lima beans, rinsed and soaked for at least 1 hour
4 cups vegetable broth (vegetable bouillon cubes work well)
salt and pepper, to taste
2 bay leaves

What you do: 

1. In a soup pot, heat the olive oil until hot; add the flour and stir until the mixture turns light brown.
2. Add the onions, garlic, and peppers and stir until mixture is lightly coated.
3. Add the lima beans and vegetable broth. Bring to a simmer and add bay leaves.
4. Cook until lima beans are tender; add salt and pepper to taste and serve on top of rice.
Reheats well and almost tastes better the next day.

Preparation Time: 
45 min
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

How long does it normally take to cook dry Lima beans that have been soaked overnight?

0 likes

Such a great surprise! This recipe was sooooo good. I  had the odd bag of large dried Lima beans and decided to try this recipe out. I did everything to the recipe except only used half the bag and used my pressure cooker with 3 c. water. 7 min later I had the most amazing pot of beans. Perfect over rice and the kids gobbled it up!

0 likes

Not bad. I ended up using the whole bag of frozen limas. It worked well, but the end result was very liquidy, so next time I'll use just 3 cups of vegetable broth. I used 6 cloves of garlic, plus a TON of garlic and herb seasoning, Italian seasoning, onion powder, and lots of salt. After all that, it was pretty good. I served it over couscous, and used Bragg's Liquid Aminos and gomasio as a condiment.

0 likes

unblondie--I have always made this recipe with large dried white limas.  It never occurred to me to use frozen green ones.  I would imagine the result is very different. 

0 likes

Question: Does anyone know how many cups are in a pound of lima beans (dry) once they've been cooked? I doubt anyone would know the answer to that question offhand, but even a guess would be helpful. My grocery store didn't have dry lima beans, so I had to buy frozen, and I now trying to figure out if I should halve the recipe or not, and how much lima beans to use. Any help would be appreciated!

I believe that a cup of dry beans is = to 1.5 to 2 cups soaked beans ... not sure how limas rank in there.

0 likes

Question: Does anyone know how many cups are in a pound of lima beans (dry) once they've been cooked? I doubt anyone would know the answer to that question offhand, but even a guess would be helpful. My grocery store didn't have dry lima beans, so I had to buy frozen, and I now trying to figure out if I should halve the recipe or not, and how much lima beans to use. Any help would be appreciated!

0 likes

This recipe was delicous! I made a big pot, and I usually don't like left overs, but this recipe is the exception.

0 likes

http://DELICIOUS!! I was surprised at how awesome this is! Even my 16 month old loves it! Thank you!

0 likes