1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper and salt
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
1 medium yellow onion, chopped very finely
olive oil, as needed
1/2 cup white rice
2 lemons

What you do: 

1. Rinse lentils in strainer until water runs through clear. Put in a soup pot along with the veggie broth and 2 cups water, bring to a boil.
2. Lower heat to a medium high simmer (steady bubbling, but not boiling). Add bay leaf, oregano, pepper, and curry powder, then cover and let cook for 25 minutes.
3. While the lentils are cooking, saute onion in olive oil untill the onions are soft (about 5-6 minutes). When the soup has cooked for 25 minutes, add the sauted onion, and the rice. Continue cooking covered for another 20 minutes. Remove bay leaf.
4. Ladle soup into four bowls, and serve each bowl with half of a lemon squeezed over soup, and fresh ground pepper, to taste.
This recipe may also be processed in a food mill to produce a creamy texture. You may also use brown rice, in which case, add the rice at the same time as the lentils.
Excellent with hot vegan bread and argula salad.

Preparation Time: 
10 min
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

This soup is very good, and it doesn't even need the rice!  I added some broccoli in the first time I made it and I used celery in it the second time and both were delicious.  I'll definitely be making this again!

0 likes

Yum, this was really good! I followed the recipe exactly with brown lentils and white rice, but I only had one lemon. Still, it was a nice dinner for a wintry evening...very fresh and tart, but still filling and delicious comfort food. I think this may be my new favorite way to cook lentils.

0 likes

This recipe is easy and really good. Mine ended up coming out a little thicker almost like a stew, but I really enjoyed it.

0 likes

Made this last night and it was grand. I did use brown rice for we have given up the white rice and it was still great. Great for the cool nights.

0 likes

it was just alrite for me dawg

0 likes

I've reviewed this before, but want to again. My husband is always telling me that he likes to think of recipes to put on a menu if he owned a restaurant. As of today, there are only three recipes that he has told me he would put on this menu - and this is one of them! It really is delicious. I always add some finely minced kale or other green. Doesn't really affect the taste but boosts the nutrition. Like I said earlier, I cook it in my pressure cooker and it takes less than 30 minutes from prep to table.

0 likes

I made this last night too. I added carrots & celery to give it more nutritional value. I make this soup at least once a month. It is one of my faves.

0 likes

I made this soup last night.  I added extra brown rice and lentils to make it more of a stew.  I liked it but thought it was missing something.  I ended up adding a large bag of sauted spinach to the soup and served it with homemade croutons.  I found the addition of spinach was the missing ingredient for me!!!  I made croutons using whole wheat bread and tossing it with olive oil, nutrional yeast, and Italian seasoning.  I will def. make this recipe again!!  It was so hearty and the perfect meal after a crazy day!!  :D

0 likes

;)bThis recipe was very flavorful and hearty. I had never tried eating lentils before, much less cooking them, but I am a convert now! I followed the recipe to the letter and it came out great, it also seems versatile enough for any modification.

0 likes

This is so fresh, healthy, and yummy tasting! Instead of onion, I added a whole mess of leeks, sauteed in some olive oil. I added some garam marsala, coriander powder, about a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar and some frozen corn that I had left in the freezer. It turned out beautifully in my slow cooker. I think this would be a good way to use up left over veggies, and its good even without the rice!

0 likes

Pages