What you need: 

2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
2 cups baby bella mushrooms, sliced
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 large red onion, roughly chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 small sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed 1/4"
2 (28 ounce) cans whole tomatoes
3 (15 ounce) cans beans (I use black, great Northern, and kidney)
1/2 cup vegetable broth
generous splash beer (I used Pinkus Ur Pils Organic Pilsner)
1/4 cup molasses
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
4 tablespoons chili powder
1-2 tablespoons cumin
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
healthy pinch oregano
1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon coriander
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/4 teaspoon paprika or smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1/4 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
sea salt and black pepper, to taste
1/4-1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar

What you do: 

1. To sweat the mushrooms, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil and the sea salt in a medium pan over medium heat. Add mushrooms and cover, stirring occasionally until mushrooms are juicy and tender, about 10 minutes.
2. While the mushrooms are sweating, heat remaining oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic, let them cook for a minute or so, and add the sweet potatoes.
3. Let the mixture cook until onions are translucent and sweet potatoes are becoming tender, but are still fairly firm. Add remaining ingredients and mushrooms and bring to a brief boil.
4. Turn down heat to simmer for 2 hours (or longer if you have the time, or less if you don't).
Garnish with coarsely chopped walnuts and sour cream (I use Tofutti; don't forget to let the sour cream soften a little before serving. It dollops better that way). Serve with grilled peanut butter (and apple, if you're feeling adventurous) sandwiches.
Also, if you aren't a huge fan of all those beans, you could substitute 1 can corn or other veggie.
Source of recipe: It was the day before grocery day and I had a hankerin' for chili. Behold, the results of what was hanging around in the pantry.

Preparation Time: 
10-15 minutes, Cooking time: 30 min-2 hours
Cooking Time: 
30 min-2 hours
Servings: 
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

Be the first to add a comment.