1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/8 teaspoon ground marjoram
1/8 teaspoon ground fennel
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 cup white wine
1 cup nondairy milk
vegan sour cream, to garnish

What you do: 

1. In a large pot, melt the butter and add the onions. Cook until translucent. Add the garlic, ginger, and leeks. Stir occasionally for about 10 minutes.
2. Add the carrot, butternut squash, potatoes, bay leaves, and vegetable broth. Cook for about 30 minutes or until the root vegetables are soft.
3. Add the spices, wine, and milk. Cook for another 5 minutes. In batches, puree the soup. Enjoy with a dollop of vegan sour cream.
Source of recipe: I wrote the recipe. For more information, please see my blog here: http://veganmiss.blogspot.com/2011/11/spiced-butternut-squash-soup.html

Preparation Time: 
10-15 minutes, Cooking time: 1 hour
Cooking Time: 
1 hour
Servings: 
6-8
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

This was great! I made a few changes.  I used an extra 1/2 cup of almond milk since we were serving kids. I skipped the fennel, all spice and cayenne pepper.  I used some white peppercorn instead.  I chose not to puree the soup as I like my soups more like a thick stew.  I mashed some of the butternut squash with a spoon as it cooked.  My husband cut the veggies up beforehand for me and accidentally gave me the green part of the leek rather than the white.  It turned out great with all these changes! We will definitely enjoy it again! 

0 likes