You are here

Member since August 2010

Pumpkin Curry Soup

What you need: 

1 small-medium sized heirloom pumpkin, halved and seeded (6 cups) (reserve seeds)
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup granny smith apple, diced
1 leek, white parts, diced
6 cups vegetable broth
2 cups nondairy milk
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon curry powder, divided
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
pinch cayenne pepper
salt and pepper, to taste
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds

What you do: 

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lay pumpkin halves face side down in a large baking dish, and cover with 1/4" water. Roast 45-60 minutes, or until tender. When done, remove from oven and scoop out insides.
2. In a large pot, add 2 tablespoons olive oil and the onion. Sweat until translucent. Add the garlic, apples, and leek. Cook for another 5-10 minutes.
3. Next, add the vegetable broth, nondairy milk, pumpkin, sugar, and all the spices (except 1 teaspoon curry powder). Cook for another 30 minutes or so.
4. While soup is cooking, combine pumpkin seeds with remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 teaspoon curry powder. Roast in oven for about 15 minutes until golden brown. Puree soup in batches, and garnish with with roasted pumpkin seeds.
I like to serve with ghost shaped whole wheat crostini (whole wheat bread, crusts removed, cut in ghost shapes, and toasted).
Source of recipe: I wrote the recipe. For more information, please see my blog here: http://veganmiss.blogspot.com/2011/10/pumpkin-curry-soup.html

Preparation Time: 
15 minutes, Cooking time: 1 1/2-2 hours
Cooking Time: 
1 1/2-2 hours
Servings: 
6-8

SO HOW'D IT GO?

My tummy is currently bulging from two big bowls of this soup with bread. Was really delicious. I didn't put the sugar in, and also I didn't have enough pumpkin so I added a potato and 2 carrots (I figure that about equals pumpkin), oh and some chilli of course!

0 likes

Absolutely delicious.  All the flavors are spot on.  The only thing I changed is the onions.  I like to bite into the chopped onion so I sauteed and added them after blending the soup.

0 likes

This was amazing!  I had some leftover roasted pumpkin so I skipped ahead to step 2 and loved it the results! I stirred in a handful of fresh, chopped cilantro at the end for some flavor contrast.  YUM.

0 likes