1 egg replacer (I used Ener-G)
2 green onions, chopped
1/4 cup red bell pepper, diced
1 1/2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
1 tablespoon vegan mayonnaise or yogurt
1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
3 tablespoons vegetable oil, for frying

What you do: 

1. Place grated zucchini in a colander with salt, and let stand 30 minutes. I found a salad shooter to be very helpful with grating.
2. Gently press with paper towels to absorb as much moisture as you can. It should be fairly dry and should measure about 2 cups now.
3. Place remaining ingredients (except oil) with zucchini in a bowl, and mix well. Form into 8 patties, and chill for about 15 minutes or so.
4. Heat oil in a nonstick skillet on medium heat. Add patties to hot skillet and cook on both sides until browned. Drain excess grease on paper towels.
To unknowing omnis, these taste just like crabcakes. Great way to use up an abundance of garden zucchini!
Source of recipe: I modified/veganized this recipe: http://www.relish.com/recipes/zucchini-cakes/

Preparation Time: 
20 min, Cooking time: 15 min
Cooking Time: 
15 min
Servings: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

This is one of the best recipes on here! My hubby, who was a crab cake nut before we went veggie, LOVES these. He says they really do taste just like crab cakes!

0 likes

Really good! I baked them for about 30 minutes on 400. Competes well with crab cakes!

0 likes

These were really good!  I've never had crab cakes but my husband said they do taste just like them.  They didn't stick together perfectly, but well enough to look like little cakes.  My med-large zucchini only yielded 1 cup drained shreds, but it worked out ok.  Next time I will try grilling these on a skillet for a healthier snack. 

0 likes

O..M..G..!!!!  These were absolutely unbelievable!!!  :D  I do not consider myself a very good cook so I still can't believe the amount of flavor that was in these when I made them last night!  This is how I made mine:

Ingredients:

3 cups zucchini (I used 5 small-medium green zucchinis and chopped in food processor)
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 1/2 cup plain breadcrumbs
    1 egg replacer (I used 1 very ripe banana)
    2 green onions, chopped (I used 2 yellow)
    1/4 cup red bell pepper, diced  (I used 1 whole red pepper)
    1 1/2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning  (I probably used a bit more than 1 ½)
    2 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise or yogurt (I used vegenaise)
    1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes (Probably used slightly more which made them a tad bit on the hot side)
    3 tablespoons vegetable oil, for frying

For the sauce, I used:
tofutti sour cream (I used probably 8 oz)
salt
lemon juice (squeezed half lemon in)
Dill – just sprinkled a bunch
Old Bay – sprinkled a bunch
Black Pepper
Horseradish – I used probably half a teaspoon or so

It took quite a while to prepare but so worth it!!!  I will make these over and over and over again!!!

0 likes

Holy  crap! I was pretty skeptical of these, I mean zucchini crab cakes?! Granted I honestly don't know if I've ever had a real crap cake, and if I do I have no idea what they tasted like, but these were delicious regardless! I didn't have the red pepper, or green onion, but I actually stocked up of them so I can make them again. This time I'm going to not eat the whole recipe myself, and actually share with my crab loving mother and see her thoughts on it. I think I may also try adding something fishy tasting, maybe crumbled seaweed sheets? I'll report back! 

0 likes

;)b These were soo good mmmmmm...

0 likes

WOW!! These are soooo good!  I made a little 'sour cream' sauce like I read above, with tofutti sour cream, salt, lemon juice, dill, and a little Old Bay.  Oh - and some black pepper.  I love the texture of these - very crab-like (stringy).  I'm in love.  And they are super easy, and quick.  I like it that the only oil is what you fry them in (plus a little fat in the mayo).  THESE ARE AMAZING.

0 likes

These are delish!  Only change I made was adding 1/4 cup chopped celery and dredged the patties in bread crumbs before frying.  Very good will def make again. Thank you. :)

0 likes

These cakes are fantastic, whether you used to eat crab, still do, or never have.  I used Panko for bread crumbs, and a small yellow onion instead of green onion.  I didn't need to add salt, as the Old Bay seasoning had plenty.  My husband commented on the great flavor the onion and bell pepper create.  The one thing missing in these cakes is  umami, the so called "5th flavor" I associate with true crabcakes.  Next time I'm going to try a small amount of finely chopped shitake mushrooms mixed in with the other ingredients to remedy this. 

0 likes

The flavor of these was wonderful, very crab-cake like! Due to my own error, mine turned out way too wet (I had a huge zucchini to use and didn't measure it out, just guessed and doubled the ingredients). But the red pepper and Old Bay really gives it that crab-cake taste. I ended up frying them and then baked them to try to dry them out a bit. They were mushy, but the flavor was delish!

0 likes

Pages