You are here

Member since March 2010

Nas8b8n M8wigisoak (3 Sisters Soup)

What you need: 

4 cups or 2 (15 ounce) cans corn
4 cups or 2 (15 ounce) cans beans
1 large winter squash, peeled, seeded, and cubed (acorn, butternut, hubbard, pumpkin)
1 large onion, chopped
1 teaspoon ground allspice, or about 5 whole allspice, cracked, in a tea ball/soup sock
salt and black pepper, to taste

What you do: 

1. Throw everything into a good heavy soup pot. Add enough water to cover everything by 2" (I use the halfway-up-my-finger measurement).
2. Bring everything to a boil, boil about 3-5 minutes, then turn way down to a gentle simmer.
3. This was meant to be left on the hearth all night for the watchstanders' and hunters' meals, so let it simmer for 3 hours at the least.
You can also leave this in a crock pot/slow cooker on low overnight instead! Pronounced nah-son-ponnn monooeeg'ee-soh-ack, or in English, 3 Sisters' Soup. Serve this with a hearty bread or traditional banik.
Source of recipe: A Native American/First Peoples recipe from my family. Translation: Scribbled down while my Aunties argued over what went in it.

Preparation Time: 
15 min, Cooking time: 3+ hours
Cooking Time: 
3+ hours
Servings: 
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

I'm not actually a vegetarian, but this is becoming a favorite soup for my family.  Works great in the crock pot., but I usually end up doing it on high in the early afternoon to be ready by dinner time.  Tonight, I tried something a little different and sauteed the onion before adding it.  Will let you know how it turns out.

For any readers on Weightwatchers, this is 4 Points+ per bowl (I'm estimating about 10 servings).  I don't want to know what the whiskey would add...  ;)

0 likes

At the request of Nokem Toloti (Auntie T), I have been instructed *ahem* to add that "It doesn't suffer if you put garlic.  Or ramps.  Or anything garlickyish. Or whiskey.  Whiskey's good too."  :-D

0 likes