2 carrots, shredded
8 green onions, chopped
1/4 cup hoisin sauce, plus more for serving
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon garlic powder
6 medium flour tortillas, warmed
toasted sesame seeds, to garnish

What you do: 

1. Saute seitan in oil with five spice seasoning, until browned. Take out of pot and set aside.
2. Throw onions in pot, and when they start to get soft, add cabbage, carrot, green onion, and a splash water.
3. Stir and cover for about 7 minutes, stirring occasionally. When soft, pour in 1/4 cup water and 1/4 cup hoisin, soy sauce, garlic powder and seitan. Coat everything evenly and cook 2 more minutes to blend flavor.
4. Spread a little more hoisin sauce on warmed tortillas, and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Spoon in desired amount of filling and roll. Enjoy!
Source of recipe: Based on the same-name recipe from "Vegan on the Cheap" by Robin Robertson. You seriously need to own it.

Preparation Time: 
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

what kind (brand) of hoisen sauce did you use FOB?

I use Kikkoman- it's very easy to find.  Kikkoman as well as hoisin sauce I've had at restaurants is plumby in taste.  the above recipe doesn't sound like it would taste like the traditional sauce at all, but as long as the flavor is good, that's what really matters!

thanks and i agree! peanut butter :P and honey is def not a vegan ingredient peoples

0 likes

I use Kikkoman- it's very easy to find.  Kikkoman as well as hoisin sauce I've had at restaurants is plumby in taste.  the above recipe doesn't sound like it would taste like the traditional sauce at all, but as long as the flavor is good, that's what really matters!

0 likes

0 likes

thanks for posting the homemade hoison sauce! :)

0 likes

http://www.grouprecipes.com/47010/homemade-hoisin-sauce.html
(source link above)

Homemade hoison sauce

5 tablespoons soy sauce
3 table spoons of peanut butter
1 1/2 teaspoon of honey
2 tsp. sesame oil
2 tsp. hot sauce
1/4 garlic powder
a dash of white pepper

I just found this, Im going to try it and see!

0 likes

We loved this dish. We eat it all the time at our fave restaurant, and I never knew making it would be so easy! The only thing I could complain about was the amount of sodium in the hoisin sauce I bought! geez! Next time I'll be on the hunt for one with less - or just use less sauce in the recipe.
Thanks for sharing this, its awesome!

0 likes

i bought a spice jar of the Chinese 5 Spice and threw a bit in a stirfry... and used it in a tofu recipe in VWAV... both dishes i found repulsive... i am scared to crack open that spice jar ever again...

Wow, ok so maybe in your case you could sauté the protien in chili powder or some teriyaki sauce. :)
I made this last week and my husband who says my Asian cooking is not my strongest loved it! So leave out what you think is repulsive and you may love it too.

0 likes

i bought a spice jar of the Chinese 5 Spice and threw a bit in a stirfry... and used it in a tofu recipe in VWAV... both dishes i found repulsive... i am scared to crack open that spice jar ever again...

0 likes

This looks incredible!  I can't wait to try it, but I know it will be a sensation.
I don't know what Chinese five spice is, but I'll try a little ground ginger and crushed red pepper.
Thank you for this neat idea.

0 likes