You are here

Member since February 2011

Taco Balls

What you need: 

2 tablespoons flaxmeal
6 tablespoons water
1 cup corn meal
2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup vegan shredded cheddar cheese (I use Daiya)
2 hard taco shells, crushed
4 tablespoons chopped green onions
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon cumin
4 tablespoons olive oil

What you do: 

1. In a small bowl, add the flaxmeal and water; mix well and set aside. Pour the corn meal on a flat plate and set aside. In a large bowl, add the black beans and mash with a potato masher or fork.
2. Once the beans are mashed, add the flaxmeal mixture, cheese, crushed taco shells, green onions, cilantro, chili powder, and cumin; mix thoroughly.
3. Form the bean mixture into balls, then roll it around on the plate with the corn meal, covering all parts of the taco ball with the corn meal. Put the taco balls on a flat plate, cover and refrigerate for about 1 hour. This step helps the taco balls stay firm when you cook them.
4. Heat the olive oil on medium high heat and fry the taco balls, turning to cook on all sides, about 10 minutes total. Serve.
Source of recipe: I wrote this recipe.

Preparation Time: 
20 minutes
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

Sometimes I will add more taco shells or flax meal if I feel like they are not firm enough, but I rarely find I have to do that. I'm sorry yours came out mushy but glad you liked the taste. Your picture is really nice!

0 likes

I followed the directions to the letter but mine turned out more like Tasty-Mushy-Lumps and less like Balls.  Maybe they would have worked better with some flour in them to give them stability, or deep fried.  I will totally use the recipe for refried black beans, though.  Great flavor and creativity!

0 likes

Made these and they are very good and very easy to make. I would take the recommendation and put them in the fridge for 1 hour. I did cool them down, but not long enough. I might cut back on the cheese a bit and chop the green onions really tiny. But other than that, we are good to go.

0 likes