You are here

Member since May 2006

Cauliflower Alfredo Sauce

What you need: 

small splash olive oil or water
1/2 medium onion, roughly chopped (about 1/2 heaping cup)
2-4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cauliflower head, roughly chopped or broken into florets (about 3 cups)
1 cup water or vegetable broth (I use water and 1/2 teaspoon salt)
1/4-1/2 pound fettuccine
pinch nutmeg (about 1/8 teaspoon)
1/4 teaspoon cayenne, optional
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
2 tablespoons flax oil or extra virgin olive oil, optional
vegetables, to serve, steamed or roasted (I like broccoli, asparagus, and peas)

What you do: 

1. In a saucepan on medium low heat, stir the onion and garlic with splash oil or water. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until the onions are translucent, stirring occasionally. Add in the cauliflower and stir for about 2 minutes.
2. Pour the broth or water in, and cover it up. Cook pasta according to package directions. Bring cauliflower mixture to a boil and simmer lightly for a few minutes until the cauliflower is tender.
3. Take off the heat and blend with a hand blender, food processor or blender until creamy. Stir in nutmeg, cayenne (if using), and the nutritional yeast.
4. Taste to see if you need salt, and add as necessary. I like to add pepper once the food is on my plate. You may chose to blend it in with the sauce. Just before serving, slowly blend in the flax or olive oil until emulsified. Pour over cooked pasta and top with veggies.
Savor every mouthful. Remember to not reheat the dish once flax oil is added as cooking depletes its vital nutrients. Flax is a great source of EFA's.
Source of recipe: This recipe is a creation from my imagination, and my taste buds.

Preparation Time: 
5-10 minutes, Cooking time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 
15 minutes
Servings: 
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

Absolutely amazing. I do not like cauliflower but wanted to add it in to my diet. Heard of an alfredo and thought I would try it. AMAZING. Tastes very cheesy. I do reduced oil so just did sprays of EVOO. For the veggies I used mushrooms, broccoli, and garbanzo beans but wanted to use peas but did not have any. Exceptional recipe!

0 likes

so glad you all enjoyed this recipe. I know what I'm doing with my cauliflower tonight. ;)

0 likes

WOW, this was so good! I put it on some quinoa pasta and mixed in some steamed kale, peas and zucchini. I also added some roasted cauliflower florets in there too, using this "cheezy roasted potatos" recipe (only I subbed the cauliflower for potato, of course): http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=29933.0 - It was a great combination. Glad you created this and shared with us. its wonderful!

0 likes

this was yummy! My 4 y/o really liked it too. I made a few changes, added some coconut milk instead of oil (at the end) and then a few splashes of lemon juice. Thanks for the idea!

0 likes

Trying this recipe tonight, will let you know what I think of it :)

0 likes