2 tablespoons oil
1/2 onion, chopped
2 Mexican green squash, chopped
2 yellow squash, chopped
2 zucchini, chopped
1 jalapeno, chopped, optional
2 cloves garlic, minced
pinch cumin powder
1/2 (10 ounce) bag chopped mushrooms (I use Trader Joe's brand)
2 cups roughly chopped spinach
10 to 12 small corn tortillas
1 (16 ounce) can green enchilada sauce

What you do: 

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Heat oil in a pan. Add onion and saute until translucent. Add the green squash, yellow squash, zucchini, and jalepeno. Stir in the garlic and cumin.
2. Saute for about 5 minutes and then add the mushrooms and continue sauteing. The spinach should be added last and it will only take a few seconds for it to saute.
3. Warm the corn tortillas for a few seconds in the oven or microwave and proceed to fill them with the squash mixture, then fold and put in the glass casserole dish.
4. Once all the enchiladas have been made and added, pour the green enchilada sauce over all the tortillas. Add any remaining squash mixture to the top of the enchiladas as a garnish. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
Serve with rice, beans, salad, chips, whatever tickles your fancy. Also tastes good with a dollop of vegan sour cream.
Source of recipe: I had a hankering for squash and Mexican food and I sort of just came up with this as I went.

Preparation Time: 
5 minutes, Cooking time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 
30 minutes
Servings: 
10 to 12
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

I made the squash enchilades for a Vegan gathering I attended and had many compliments.  Its such an easy dish to make and very flavorful.   Norma Sachar   

0 likes

Can't wait to try this! I have the local Mexican Restaurant make mushroom-squash enchiladas for me all the time, and I love them so much I dream abotu them. It will be nice to be able to make something similar myself for once :)

0 likes