2 cups brown rice, oat or buckwheat flour
3/4 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup carob powder
2 tablespoons flax meal mixed + 6 tablespoons water
1/4 cup natural unsweetened peanut butter
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup water

What you do: 

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Spray cookie sheet with cooking spray. Combine flour, oats, and carob powder in a large bowl.
2. Add flax mixture, peanut butter, and oil. Begin to mix together. Add water a little a time until mixture sticks together well and makes a nice ball; not too dry, not too wet. Add more water, if necessary.
3. Using half of the dough at a time, roll or pat dough to 1/2" thick. Using cookie cutters, cut out treats. Gather scraps and re-roll to cut additional treats.
4. Place on cookie sheet. They can be placed very close together because they do not spread. Bake 5 to 7 minutes. The less time in the oven the softer they will be. They will crisp up more as they cool. If your dog likes crispy treats go for the maximum time.
The cooking time is based on using 1 1/2" cookie cutters and rolling to 1/2" thick. Adjust time for larger or smaller treats.
Source of recipe: I created this recipe for my sweet girl Tallulah.

Preparation Time: 
20 to 30 minutes, Cooking time: 5 to 7 minutes
Cooking Time: 
5 to 7 minutes
Servings: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

Excellent, easy recipe.  i didn't have any carob powder, so I used one faux chicken bullion cube instead.  I ended up baking these for close to 20 minutes to get them crunchy.

0 likes

I made these on Saturday for my pooch. She really loves them! It made a huge batch, so I am giving some away.

I used wheat flour because I didn't have anything else. Can someone explain why wheat flour is not preferable?

0 likes

Would whole wheat flour be an ok sub??

As long as you know your dog is not allergic to wheat, it's fine. I know mine aren't, but I still stay away from it.

0 likes

I would say yes since pretty much every dog treat recipe that I've seen uses whole-wheat flour.

0 likes

0 likes

My doggies love these. I baked them at 300* for just over an hour--I  baked them at the same time I made "Oliver's Favorite Doggy Treats," and I wanted to make them at the same temp. This makes them hard and crunchy and last forever. I will have to say I think there was a bit too much oil, and the treats are a bit greasy in the container, still. I think next time I'll halve the oil and see how that works out. Now my dogs flip out any time they smell me cooking with carob!

0 likes

I made these for AC for the Earth Day gift exchange.

I used oat flour, and probably needed the full amount of water .  Really easy and they looked/smelled good.  I'll have to get AC to add a review of what Olen thought of them : )

Olen loves them, and I think they taste pretty good, too. He's been gobbling up pieces. :)

0 likes

I made these for AC for the Earth Day gift exchange.

I used oat flour, and probably needed the full amount of water .  Really easy and they looked/smelled good.  I'll have to get AC to add a review of what Olen thought of them : )

0 likes

Oh my! I'm making this the second that I can get some carob powder. Oliver is already salivating in anticipation!

0 likes