1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
dash allspice
1 teaspoon maple or vanilla extract

What you do: 

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Have a nonstick shallow roasting pan ready or grease a nonstick pan.
2. Place peeled turnip wedges in a large bowl. Add olive oil, sugar, salt, red pepper flakes, ginger, and allspice. Toss to coat well.
3 Add extract and toss to coat again.
4. Roast in oven for 20 minutes, or until tender and slightly brown crispy edges.
This recipe also works well for parsnips and rutabagas. The spicy sweet coating gives root vegetables a wonderful flavor.
Source of recipe: My own modified recipe.

Preparation Time: 
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

I made a trial run of these a few days ago and a double batch for Thanksgiving today.  Those who already liked turnips loved them, those who did not were neutral.  The only modification I made was subbing in 1/8th tsp  cayenne pepper for the flakes on the second batch.  The original was good but my family is not fond of spicy/hot foods so the cayenne eliminated the "hot spots" in some bites without totally loosing the flavor.

0 likes

Not usually a fan of turnips.  Actually I really don't like turnips, but I got a bunch in my CSA, and tried this recipe.  Much to my surprise, they were tasty.  And this was super fast and easy. Posted picture.

0 likes

This was amazing! I followed the recipe exactly, and I'm so happy I did. It was my first time eating turnips and they caramelized wonderfully. Thank you!

0 likes

Loved this! I didn't have sugar or maple extract, so I substituted 1 Tbsp. maple syrup. It didn't turn out as sweet or as maple-y as I would have liked, but it was still delicious! I will definitely make this again - and I will definitely follow the recipe next time.

0 likes