You are here

Member since September 2006

Tiga Dege Na (West African Peanut Butter Stew)

What you need: 

1 tablespoon oil
3 small onions, chopped
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 large (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
1-1/2 cups vegetable broth
1/3 cup smooth peanut butter (unsweetened, "natural" type is best)
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or more to taste)
1 teaspoon salt (may reduce if broth is very salty)
1 teaspoon black pepper
2 bay leaves
1 acorn squash, peeled and cubed
1/2 medium cabbage, cut into thin strips (or a 10-14 oz. bag of cole slaw)

What you do: 

1. In a large pot, heat oil. Add and saute onions and garlic until translucent.
2. Add diced tomatoes, tomato paste, vegetable broth, peanut butter, cayenne pepper, salt, pepper, bay leaves, and squash.
3. Bring to a boil. Add the cabbage.
4. Cook until the squash is tender, about 30 minutes. Stir frequently to prevent peanut butter from sticking to the bottom of the pot. Serve over rice.
Tip: I should warn you that peeling an acorn squash is easier said than done, because of the ridges. I find the easiest way is to cut the squash into crescents before peeling, so that each piece you peel is convex. (I hope that makes sense.)
Source of recipe: I adapted this from a non-vegetarian recipe I found in a catalog.

Preparation Time: 
45 min., Cooking time: 45 min
Cooking Time: 
45 min
Servings: 
5-6

SO HOW'D IT GO?

This is one of my favorite recipes I've ever made (and believe me, I've made a lot - most of them from this site). We scarfed down the entire thing in like two days - served it over brown rice, and used butternut squash instead of acorn, because that's what we had. Seriously, this stuff was amazing and easy.

0 likes

this sounds like a recipe bloodroot in connecticut did several years ago.  they used tempeh and added coriander to the spice mix.  will try this soon.  thanks.

0 likes

I spent three hours on this, and in the end, it was the worst thing I'd ever made... all the ingredients were fine, even my mom's boyfriend (who had made a similar recipe for years) agreed, and it even smelled great. Something happened to give it a chemical taste, which only got worse as it kept cooking. I don't understand what went wrong; the pan isn't even aluminum, it's stainless steel, so there's no chance of the citric acid from the tomatoes interacting with the pan. I don't know how I would go about trying this again, since I don't even know what I did wrong. I wish there was a way to do it in the slow cooker. I'm sure it's great, but I am confused as heck.  :-\

I am not sure if it can happen with peanut butter, but a weird taste can occur if you overcook whole peanuts.

I figured it out when I tried to cook the seeds of the squash; what a horrible tasting squash! >P I am going to try this recipe again without it, since I still have half a cabbage left, after all. =) I'm sure it'll be great.

0 likes

I spent three hours on this, and in the end, it was the worst thing I'd ever made... all the ingredients were fine, even my mom's boyfriend (who had made a similar recipe for years) agreed, and it even smelled great. Something happened to give it a chemical taste, which only got worse as it kept cooking. I don't understand what went wrong; the pan isn't even aluminum, it's stainless steel, so there's no chance of the citric acid from the tomatoes interacting with the pan. I don't know how I would go about trying this again, since I don't even know what I did wrong. I wish there was a way to do it in the slow cooker. I'm sure it's great, but I am confused as heck.  :-\

I am not sure if it can happen with peanut butter, but a weird taste can occur if you overcook whole peanuts.

0 likes

0 likes

I made this the other night and it was so delicious. It also made enough to feed a small army so it will last us several meals. Definitely making this again. I think it would be good dinner party food too!

0 likes

Amazing.  I followed the recipe exactly except that I omitted the bay leaf and had to cook the stew for 45 minutes instead of 30.  Served over quinoa.  Yum!

0 likes