1 cup lentils
2 cups water
2 tablespoons minced onion
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
2 teaspoons green pepper flakes
(If you can not find green pepper flakes, add fresh green pepper sauteed until soft)
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon dry minced garlic (the kind in the spice section)
1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
1 1/4 cups water

What you do: 

1. Rinse and pick through lentils. Add two cups water to pan with lentils and bring to boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer about 55 minutes until tender, but not mushy.
2. For the sauce, combine the minced onion, salt, sugar, dry mustard, chili powder, green pepper flakes, cornstarch, minced garlic, and celery seeds. Combine well and set aside.
3. When lentils are done, add the tomato paste and water. Stir in the sauce seasoning. Combine well and heat through.
Serve on whole wheat buns or over brown rice.

Preparation Time: 
10 min, Cooking time: 65 min
Cooking Time: 
65 min
Servings: 
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

I followed this recipe to the T. I agree with another reviewer who advised everyone to add brown sugar and ketchup. I did this after the fact and it completely pulled this recipe together. Next time I will halve the amount of celery seed as I felt that it was slightly overpowering. Otherwise, YUM!

0 likes

i turned mine into a casserole, poured over rice and added dayia cheese..delicious.

0 likes

:)Great recipe.  No obscure ingredients, not a lot of steps/ prep. 
My new go to sloppy joe recipe. 

1 like

I have a question, maybe i'm just stupid but are we talking green BELL pepper? or like a jalapeno pepper?
HELP! I'd love to make these tonight. Thank you!

The recipe calls for the use of bell pepper.

However if you wanted them spicy, I am sure you could add some jalapeno.

0 likes

I have a question, maybe i'm just stupid but are we talking green BELL pepper? or like a jalapeno pepper?
HELP! I'd love to make these tonight. Thank you!

0 likes

Sorry but I was not impressed with the recipe as written.
Maybe I am used to a 'sweeter' sloppy joe.
It was a good base...but I added 1/2 cup of ketchup, 2 TBL brown sugar and a dash of cumin.
Then it was delightful! So thanks for getting me started. =)
The last time I made vegan sloppy joes I bought a 'fake' meat substitute and it was expensive!
This is a much better alternative (health and cost wise)!!!

1 like

really tasty. used french lentils and added some daiya cheddar cheese and italian seasoning, ground celery seed and smoked paprika. really good.
the mustard made the dish. and i used both dry and dijon. not overpowering at all. thanks for this recipe, it's definitely a keeper  :)>>>

0 likes

Haha, we call ours Sloppy Lenny's

We (my partner and I) love this recipe. We decided that it mimics sloppy joes so well, but is meatless it needed a different name. We have started calling this recipe: Tidy Ernies. :) Thanks so much!!

0 likes

This recipe is fantastic. I didn't have celery seeds, so I omitted them, and though I used the called for amount of salt, next time I would decrease the amount to 1 teaspoon and adjust further if needed. I also used a fresh green pepper instead of green pepper flakes.

0 likes

These are awesome! We loved them, and so filling! I forgot the dry mustard but they really turned out great. I would encourage everyone to try this great recipe. My toddler loved it!

0 likes

Pages