2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 red, orange or yellow bell pepper, finely chopped
1 large zucchini, chopped into bite sized pieces
1 (14 ounce) can light coconut milk
1 tablespoon green curry paste
1 small (thumbnail sized) piece fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated
1 bunch Swiss chard, stems removed, finely chopped

What you do: 

1. In a stock pot, combine vegetable broth and lentils with a splash of olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer until liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Check the lentils frequently so they don't burn.
2. While the lentils cook, add olive oil to a large skillet with deep sides and saute onions and garlic until just translucent. Add bell pepper and saute until soft. Add zucchini and saute for 1 minute.
3. At this point, the lentils should be finished cooking. Add coconut milk, green curry paste, grated ginger, and lentils to the skillet, stirring gently to incorporate vegetables and liquid. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 2 minutes.
4. Add Swiss chard to liquid and simmer 1 minute. Remove from heat, season with salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!
The finished product should be a thick stew-like consistency; you can eat it with a spoon by itself or serve it over rice!
Source of recipe: I wrote this recipe because I wanted to experiment with cooking lentils.

Preparation Time: 
20 minutes, Cooking time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 
30 minutes
Servings: 
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

This was really quite tasty - I used spinach instead of chard and light coconut milk.  I also added a lot more garlic.  I served it over rice (next time I will make sticky rice) but added a squeeze of lime and Sriracha because I love some heat - excellent. :)

0 likes

Fantastic!!  I used 2 carrots instead of zucchini, and I used 4-5 times more curry paste than recommended.  I almost used that whole little jar of it!  I used fresh baby spinach instead of chard, and I added red pepper for some heat!  It is so delicious!  Another thing I did differently was instead of adding the lentils to the skillet, I added everything else to the lentils and finished it off in the saucepan. 
I forgot to get *light* coconut milk, and wow is this creamy!

0 likes

I made this with a few variations.  Red curry paste instead of green, kale instead of chard, no zucchini, no added salt or pepper.  It's really good.  If I were going to eat it as soup, I think I'd double the lentils, to tone down the spice and add more body.  I don't know if kale comes in larger bunches than chard, but mine kind of took over the dish and made it less soup-like.  Nevertheless, it's quite delicious!  I'll be eating it over rice for lunch this week.

0 likes

Nice recipe.  See my photo.  Adjustments I made:  Replaced chard with about 2 cups of a blend of arugula, cilantro, basil and green onion; added some quartered mushrooms; added some green peas; added a few chopped lime leaves.  I also used more like 3 tablespoons of curry paste plus a couple extra chilies because I like it spicy!

0 likes

I liked this recipe quite a bit, however it was not as strong in the curry flavor department as I would have liked it to be, (and I even added an extra tsp of the curry paste) but that might be the fault of the brand that I bought...I am not sure.  Next time I think I will try the suggestion of almond milk and coconut extract instead of coconut milk.  Overall, I liked this dish.  By serving this over brown rice, I really feel like I am eating something good and nutritious for my body!

0 likes

I absolutely adored this recipe.
I am new to vegetarianism and trying lots of things out so I wanted a nice recipe for lentils.
I was so proud to make such a delicious dich and my non-veggie housemates were all really impressed with how tasty it was!

I'll be making it again soon :) ;)b

0 likes

Great recipe! I made this but I used green lentils instead and blended a bit at the end with a hand blender before putting the chard in. I used red chard and red chili paste instead of green and also added some curry powder. We ate it over quinoa. Thanks for the great recipe! I will definitely try it again with the red lentils next time.

0 likes

Very, very good!
I used a red pepper, kale instead of chard and almond milk with a touch of coconut extract instead of coconut milk (a trick I learned from FatFreeVeganKitchen).
I added a bunch more green curry paste than it called for and used sriracha to spice it up.  I ate it by itself, but my husband had it over rice.  Excellent!

0 likes

I'm new to being a vegan and this was the first real vegan recipe that I tried. It was amazing! We almost ate the entire dish in one night! The flavors were perfect. I had rice and naan with it. Thanks for the recipe  :)>>>

0 likes

This is so easy and so yummy. I've waited years to find a recipe that would make me LOVE lentils... here it is.

The only changes I made were to omit the zucchini and use dried spices instead of fresh.

0 likes