Vegan Buttercream Frosting

What you need: 

1/2 cup non-hydrogenated shortening
1/2 cup margarine
3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
up to 1/8 cup soymilk

What you do: 

1) Cream together the margarine and the shortening. Add sugar and beat forat least 5 minutes. Add the vanilla then the soy milk 1 tablespoon at a timewhile continuing to beat. Depending on the weather and the humidity of you kitchen will decide how much liquid you add. Stop adding soymilk when you arehappy with the consistency but continue to beat for at least another 5 minutes you want a very fluffy, very creamy consistency.
If you are going to be doing a lot of decorating, like roses and other flowers,you may want to double the recipe.
I have used this exact recipe for years. Everyone always loves it.

Preparation Time: 
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

This was very good.  I used it to make my hubby's birthday cake.  It worked well with colors but i wish i would have put it in the refrigerator before i frosted the cake for maybe it would have been a little easier to work with, i made it work.

0 likes

DELICIOUS. I used half a cup of Blue Bonnet light and half a cup of Earth Balance. Tasted great and was super easy to make.

Oh, I also used vanilla almondmilk instead of soy.

0 likes

First time making buttercream frosting, used this recipe, and I was pleased with the results. I halved the ingredients and let my electric mixer do all the work. Turned out VERY sweet, but the consistency was beautiful and it was so easy. I would suggest this with a not-so-sweet cake. I made it to go with the White/Yellow Cake recipe I found on this site, and after one piece I was almost sick (to be fair, though, I'd been tasting bits of batter/frosting the whole time I was baking >_>)
Anyway, a solid, tasty, easy buttercream recipe.  ;)b

0 likes

This was very easy to make and delicious!  I will definitely be making it again  Thanks! ;D

0 likes

i've made this twice now to top the red velvet cup cakes recipe on vegweb...i really loved the taste but im confused...the first time i used the shortening i just mashed it and beat it with the marge and it took forever to break up. Once i got it smooth it was an awesome buttercream icing. I added some melted chocolate and also choc essence (tho i put in too much). The second time i melted the copha first then i mixed it with the marg but the consistency was lumpy with bits of copha =S maybe i am using the wrong vegetable shortening? Is it supposed to be a liquid one? I can only find the block type. I really want to perfect this because it is just such a delish recipe! :)>>>

0 likes