1/2 teaspoon chili powder
dash black pepper
1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (4 ounce) can diced green chiles
3 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 (15-20 ounce) can green enchilada sauce
12 large flour tortillas
12 ounces vegan sour cream (I use Tofutti "better than sour cream")
16 ounces vegan cheese, shredded, divided

What you do: 

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Put the olive oil in a large skillet. Saute vegan chicken, onions, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, chili powder, and black pepper at medium heat for about 6-7 minutes or until onions look pretty soft.
2. Remove from heat, and add beans, green chiles, cilantro, and sea salt. Grease a large baking dish with olive oil or vegan butter, and pour 1/2 the can of enchilada sauce on the bottom of it.
3. Lay out a tortilla, and spread about 1 tablespoon vegan sour cream, then add some beans and chicken mixture, and fold up, enchilada or burrito style. Place in prepared dish, and repeat with tortillas until there is no mixture left.
4. Once dish is filled, pour the rest of the can of enchilada sauce and 3/4 of the vegan cheese on top. Cover and bake 30 minutes. Uncover, add the rest of the vegan cheese and bake an additional 5-7 minutes, until lightly browned on top.
Serve with more cilantro and sour cream on top, if desired.
Source of recipe: I wrote this recipe.

Preparation Time: 
20 minutes, Cooking time: 35 minutes
Cooking Time: 
35 minutes
Servings: 
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

This is fantastic!  I added mushrooms inside and didn't use the cutlets.  I topped it with a nacho-type cheese sauce made out of nutritional yeast.  Soooo good! 

0 likes

Took me a little over 15 minutes to make. I can definitely recommend using tofu instead of "chicken" if you can't be bothered to go out and find faux chicken. I like to slice the tofu into extra small bits, but otherwise follow the recipe.

I forgot to put the tin foil on when I baked it and I had a terrible time cleaning up, but otherwise, a huge success!

0 likes

My boyfriend and I tried out this recipe and it was delicious! We've had it twice since then, once with green enchilada sauce and corn tortillas, and the other with red sauce and flour tortillas. We both preferred the green sauce and both kinds of tortillas tasted great. We used tofu instead of "chicken." Thanks for the recipe!

0 likes

really good! i didn't use any "chicken," and though i had planned on hydrating some TVP, i got lazy last minute and left it out. i sauteed the onions and spices, and added a mix of different mushrooms and some olives to the filling after i took it off the heat. poured excess filling over the enchiladas to add to sauce. it was easy and delicious. thanks for the recipe!

0 likes

These were so yummy!
Even my omni dad said they were good!
Will DEFINITELY make again and again! ;)b

0 likes

made this with TVP re-hydrated in vegetable broth. The result was very similar to the chicken you find in enchiladas. I've never had green enchilada sauce before now. I was silly to go this long.

Love the recipe.

0 likes

hey these sound deliscious! i'm sorry to do this here, i've noticed you "waving" at me a few times and i'd really like to email you but i can't ahold of your email address. mine is skwaggles @ hotmail.com

when i try these, i'll let ya know how AWESOME they turn out!

hi! i will e-mail you : )

0 likes

hey these sound deliscious! i'm sorry to do this here, i've noticed you "waving" at me a few times and i'd really like to email you but i can't ahold of your email address. mine is skwaggles @ hotmail.com

when i try these, i'll let ya know how AWESOME they turn out!

0 likes

thank you! i'm glad you liked them! : )

0 likes

These were pretty good although I didn't like the "sour cream" being all warm inside the enchiladas... the spices were awesome though... I added spinach and mushrooms since I had to use them up before they went bad and I mashed up the black beans... I also topped the enchiladas with green onions and olives since I am not a fan of vegan shredded cheese... Good recipe overall

0 likes