You are here

Member since March 2009

Simple, Garlic and Dill Mashed Potatoes

What you need: 

8 large red potatoes, peeled and chopped
4 tablespoons vegan margarine
1/2 cup plain nondairy milk (I use soy)
1/4 cup strong not-chicken-broth (I use 1/4 cup hot potato water + 1 teaspoon Better Than Bouillon Not Chicken Base)
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon dill weed
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
freshly ground black pepper, to taste

What you do: 

1. Fill a large, deep soup/stock pot halfway up with water, and add potatoes to the pot. Bring to a boil over high heat until tender, about 10 minutes, give or take.
2. While the potatoes are boiling, place the margarine in a large mixing bowl. When the potatoes are done, drain them, reserving 1/4 cup of the boiling water to mix with the bouillon. Place the potatoes on top of the margarine in the bowl and mash with a potato masher.
3. Blend with an electric hand mixer, slowly adding the milk and broth as you mix. Stop and scrape down the bowl.
4. Add the spices and salt and pepper and mix on high for 1-2 minutes, until nice and fluffy.
If they need to be warmed up, just make sure your bowl is oven-safe and pop them in a 350 degree F oven for a few minutes.
Source of recipe: This is my vegan version of the mashed potatoes I grew up on. My mom always put mayonnaise and real milk in hers and she didn't do the dill. This version is so good and much healthier.

Preparation Time: 
15 minutes, Cooking time: about 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 
about 10 minutes
Servings: 
4 to 6

SO HOW'D IT GO?

Be the first to add a comment.