You are here

Member since July 2005

Eggplant Penne

What you need: 

1 lb. pasta (I used whole wheat penne)
1 red onion, sliced into rings
5 Japanese Eggplants (or equivalent amt of any other type of eggplant)
5-6 cloves garlic, minced
1 large tomato, diced
1/4 cup sundried tomatoes (I use oil-packed)
1/2 cup whole, pitted kalamata olives
Extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup dry red wine
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon basil
salt

What you do: 

Cook pasta according to package directions. When the pasta is cooked, toss is a small amount of EVOO.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet saute the onions over med - med-high heat in a little oil until they become very brown. You want to caramelize them. A cast iron pan works the best for this if you have one. Transfer the caramelized onions to a dish for use later.
In the same pan, add a little more oil and saute garlic for about 15 seconds. Add the diced eggplant and sprinkle with salt. Cook until the eggplant becomes very soft, stirring often so that it can cook evenly. Add the diced tomatoes and olives. Cook for 2 minutes. Add the wine, oregano and basil. Cook for another 5 minutes. Add additional salt if necessary. Remove from heat and stir in the sundried tomatoes and caramelized onions.
Serve the yummy eggplant goodness over the pasta and dig in!
Source of recipe: I threw this recipe together last night as a way to use up eggplant from my garden. My bf and I loved it. I served some bruschetta with it and it complimented the pasta very well.

Preparation Time: 
15 minute, Cooking time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 
30 minutes
Servings: 
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

Anonymous

This recipe was so good it made my husband recommit to a veg lifestyle. I fed it my best friend, my mother, my kids..........they all loved it. I have had to make it a few times in one week to keep people happy. It's also easy to adjust. I had a ton of asparagus so i threw in the tips and that added a nice twist. Try the recipe for vegan parm on top!

0 likes

This sounds fantastic! I want to try this soon!!!

0 likes