You are here

Member since July 2008

Nigerian Peanut Stew

What you need: 

vegetable stock (or simmer one onion, four carrots, and four celery stalks for one hour & strain)
four garlic cloves
2 yams, diced
1 large buttercup or butternt squash, diced. Steam whole 5 minutes for easy dicing.
1 large yellow onion
2 carrots
4 tablespoons peanut butter. I like chunky, but smooth is ok too.
salt to taste if you use unsalted peanut butter. (I love salt - yum)
2 or so spoons of sultana raisins, soaked in boiling water to soften.
1 teaspoon corriander
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon diced fresh or 1 teaspoon dried ginger
1 teaspoon tumeric (optional)
1 teaspoon cayenne (optional)

What you do: 

1) In a large pot fry the onion on medium in the oil for two minutes. Add garlic and yam, fry for another minute. Add squash carrot and raisins, fry for another minute or so. Add spices (including salt if desired) and fry another minute, stirring constantly.
2) Add stock and heat to boil. Then lower to simmer and cook until vegetables reach desired tenderness; I like mine very soft. Add peanutbutter, add more if it is not thick enough. If you want add any kind of cooked greens. Include garnishes at serving for fun. My mom usually serves it in a big bowl with garnishes surrounding it. We put it on rice and mop it with bread. It will stuff you.
Source of recipe: My mom makes this. It is soooooo good! (She used to make it with meat but she changed it for me.... my mom is the greatest!!!) She usually serves it with lots of fruit and vegetable garnishes, like shredded spinich, diced papaya and mango, apple slices, crushed peanuts, grapes, cooked vegetables, tofu, etc. And plenty of rice and bread. This is a feast, but it is so easy to make!

Preparation Time: 
20 minutes, Cooking time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 
30 minutes
Servings: 
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

Be the first to add a comment.