Member since March 2009

Excellent Vegan Apple Pie

What you need: 

3/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons pastry flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
6 cups peeled, cored, and THINLY sliced cooking apples (about 2 lbs)
1 tablespoon margarine
2 pie crusts (make your own, or get the kind that are rolled into tubes)
A little soymilk for glazing

What you do: 

1) Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
2) Place 1 crust in bottom of 9" pie plate. Combine first 5 ingredients in a bowl.
3) Place half of thinly sliced apples into the pie crust and sprinkle with half of the sugar mixture. Repeat with the remaining apples and sugar mixture. Dot with margarine.
4) Cut out an awesome design in remaining crust and place over pie. Trim edges and pinch to form a high edge. Decorate that edge any way you desire.
5) For a golden glaze, brush the top crust (but not the edge!) lightly with soymilk. Bake pie for 40-50 minutes, until crust is golden.
Source of recipe: I put together this recipe-- healthy, vegan, quick and easy to make. It's also very satisfying and yummy.Be sure to make a cool design on the top pie crust before placing on the pie to bake. Use a knife or cookie cutters. And, if you don't already have one, get an apple slicer to save time.

Preparation Time: 
30 minutes, Cooking time: 40 to 50 minutes
Cooking Time: 
40 to 50 minutes
Servings: 
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

Are you supposed to turn the temp down after awhile?  I didn't, and my pie got burnt. Embarassed

My daughter used a heart-shaped cookie cutter, and that was really fun.  She enjoyed making the pie.  We'll try again, only this time I won't cook it on such a high temp for so long. Embarassed

0 likes

OK.  Where do I start with this bit of deliciousness!  First of all my son and I kept eating the apple mixture before it went into the pie.  I had small green apples that were tart so I mixed them with raw agave with a little brown sugar.  The tart and the sweet --> Yummm. 

This was my first attempt at apple pie so I had a little trouble with that double crust deal.  Trust me, no one complained!  I used an apple corer then my food processor to slice the apples very thin.

If you like apple pie, you must try this! ;)b

0 likes