You are here

Member since February 2007

Blueberry Streusel Cake with Lemon Icing

What you need: 

Cake (dry):
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour or unbleached white flour (or all-purpose gluten-free flour)
1 cup organic sugar or sucanat
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 tablespoons lemon zest, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon sea salt Cake (wet):
1/4 cup oil (safflower, non-virgin olive, or sunflower)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup nondairy milk
2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries Streusel topping:
1/4 cup non-hydrogenated margarine, at room temperature or melted
1/4 cup organic sugar
3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour (or white or gluten-free all-purpose)
1 1/8 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking powder Lemon Icing:
1 1/4 cups organic powdered sugar
1 tablespoon + 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 + 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon sea salt

What you do: 

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Combine all of the dry cake ingredients very well, making sure to remove any lumps in the sugar. Combine the wet cake ingredients (except blueberries) very well.
2. Stir into the dry ingredients, and combine well without over mixing. Stir in the blueberries. Lightly oil a 9 1/2" x 13 1/2” pan and evenly spread the batter into it.
3. Stir the streusel items together very well until thoroughly combined and crumbly. Evenly spread over the blueberry cake. Bake for 1 hour, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool slightly before icing the cake.
4. To make the icing, begin by removing any lumps from the sugar, if necessary. You can do this with your fingers, a fork, or by running it through a strainer or sifter. Next, combine all of the icing ingredients together well, stirring with a spoon.
5. When the cake is slightly cooled, drizzle the icing over the top. You can really have some good, old fashioned fun at this point! Now, your creation is ready to eat. Enjoy!
This yummy cake is "Oh Boy Delicious" according to several 5 year olds! It is also easy to make, healthy, and always wins the hearts of carnivores and vegans alike!
Source of recipe: I wrote this recipe. It's from my new vegan cookbook, "Radiant Health, Inner Wealth."www.radianthealth-innerwealth.com

Preparation Time: 
under 30 minutes, Cooking time: about 1 hour
Cooking Time: 
about 1 hour
Servings: 
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

I absolutely love this recipe. It was incredibly easy to prepare, and yet tasted better than a lot of the more complicated recipes. I reduced the sugar by half, and it was still incredible. Sadly, I only got one piece before my roomates stole the rest. :P

0 likes

Had to make a bunch of changes to this because I'm on a diet (trying to be somewhat low-carb and low-fat wherever possible) and this still came out well
Thanks for the recipe :-)

0 likes

Holy guacamole. The batter tastes like heaven, if heaven had a flavor. I had blueberries overload from all the wild ones growing around my house, P.E.R.F.E.C.T recipe for it. Going into my favorites for sure.

0 likes

Okay, made this again tonight, last one only lasted a day.  Me , my hubby and sister devoured it, lol. :-D  I hope this one will last long enough to bring some to my Grammy.  So good!

0 likes

This is sooo good  :)>>>! Another great recipe! I sprinkled powder sugar and used the icing, couldn't help myself!

0 likes

OMG I cant wait to try this , I must make ASAP!!!!!! Looks so good and I love blueberries and lemon together, wonderful!

0 likes

Really appreciate the GREAT VEGAN RECIPES here, BUT am having to lose a large amount of weight, and so am doing Weight Watchers on-line strictly vegetarian and almost entirely Vegan. My problem, and maybe for a number of readers, we need to count Nutritional elements: Protein, Carbs, Fiber and Fat. Our little calculators then make it very simple to arrive at the Points Plus for each serving.  If at all possible, PLEASE post any of your recipes which have those Nutritional Facts. I'll be checking back for any replies.  Thank you so much.

0 likes

This is outstanding! Absolutely delicious! I used strawberries instead of blueberries, and it is very similar in taste an texture to an old family recipe for berry puddin'. My daughter says it tastes likes Mamaw's kind of cooking, which is the highest compliment any food can receive. I would serve this to anyone. 5 stars. Oh, I baked it in an 8x8 pan, and thought it was perfect, although calorie wise it's probably better to use the bigger pan. :-*

0 likes

This is super delicious. I baked it in deep springform pan so it was nice and thick - thought it would be too thin in the larger pan it called for (unless you doubled the recipie, which might be called for it's just that good.) I used more lemon in the icing than called for - just kept tasting. Def a keeper recipe! Thanks.

0 likes

this was FABULOUS!!! sooo easy to make and sooooooo delicious! it doesn't "taste vegan" at all!thank you so much for this awesome recipe! :)>>>

0 likes

Pages