1/2 pound organic tofu, pressed and cubed
peanut or olive oil, as needed
3 tablespoons natural peanut butter
1 1/2 teaspoons vinegar (I used white)
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
2-3 tablespoons water

What you do: 

1. Pan saute tofu in oil until firm. In a separate pot, whisk together all of the remaining sauce ingredients.
2. Warm on low heat, so it is not as thick. This is where you may need a tablespoon of water from time to time, so it doesn't stick to the bottom.
3. When tofu is done, remove the sauce from heat. Add in the tofu and mix with a spoon. It should crumble a little and that's fine.
4. Place in a container and refrigerate to cool. It should be room temperature when you serve it.
Enjoy!!
Source of recipe: This recipe is inspired by Rosetta's kitchen in Asheville, NC. We recently moved to Hot Springs, AR and it is seriously lacking good veggie food (There is none, don't move here!). This recipe is delicious, but nowhere near the amazing melt in your mouth taste that is Rosetta's Peanut butter tofu. I was homesick tonight and decided to try to invent something that would satisfy my craving.

Preparation Time: 
5 minutes, Cooking time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 
10 minutes
Servings: 
2-4
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

Wow, this recipe is so simple and so delish! Perfect for a busy week night. I followed a suggestion on here and breaded the tofu first and then fried it. Also, for those of you who can't handle spice, I would reduce the amount of cayenne to 1/4 of a teaspoon. Thank you for sharing this, I will definitely be making it again!!

0 likes

Man, I love Rosetta's! Asheville is a great place for Vegans.  :)>>>

This recipe is very good. I doubled it. I, unfortunately, couldn't add as much cayenne as the recipe calls for. (Kids in the house!) I added a bit of salt and pepper. Sooo yummy. This would be great thrown on top of a bed of rice and kale. Yum.

;)b

0 likes

I used this recipe as a guideline last night. I had to make some substitutions due to allergies in the family...no cayenne (but lots of black pepper), Bragg's for soy sauce and almond butter instead of peanut. Obviously the nut butter swap changes the taste of the recipe, but it was still a very tasty and simple recipe, which I always appreciate. I tripled it, added 6 or so sliced basil leaves from the garden, heated the sauce for a minute in the microwave, and poured it over 2 blocks of pan-fried tofu and some leftover plain millet. Turned out very nice. Thank you!

0 likes

This was good.  I made some alterations: to the tofu I threw in panko break crumbs for some added crunch.  To the sauce I added a little more warm water to make it thinner and some garlic, ginger, and more rice vinegar than was called for. 

0 likes

Wow! just made it...WoW I did not have cayenne so I put fresh herbs ( from my garden) + I add a teaspoon of dark agave nectar... :)>>>For sure my new favorite tofu dish...The sauce could be great for dip too!!!

I will make it over and over again!

0 likes

Very good. Made this for dinner tonight. Nice and spicy! I added an extra tbsp of PB and used it for a block of tofu. Went perfectly paired with ginger sesame soba noodles.Look forward to making more recipes from you! :)

0 likes

This is delicious. The peanut butter itself is good enough to be used as a dip! Thanks for a great recipe.

0 likes

I made this a while ago and it was great ;)b!  I only used 2 tbsp of pb and I used a whole block of lite firm tofu that was frozen/thawed/squeezed.  Thanks for the great recipe.  Ohhhh... and I baked my tofu instead of frying it.

0 likes