2 medium sized potatoes
olive oil
vegetable oil
turmeric
salt
pepper
spices to taste
tortillas
mushrooms, quartered or sliced (optional)
jalapeno, sliced (optional)
red, yellow peppers, diced (optional)
fake sausage/Soyrizo, crumbled (optional)
salsa (optional)

What you do: 

First things first. When I first went vegan, I loved recipes. It took me about a year or so before I realized that lots of recipes are designed for you to use as a baseline or guide. So feel free to use this recipe as it's written here, but it's meant for you to customize, and make your own. I make these burritos almost every week, and I can almost guarantee that I've not made it the same way twice. I don't like exact measurements, so apologies for the lack thereof.
There are two ways of doing the potatoes. They are both good, but one requires more oil than the other and so is probably less healthy--but tastier. Method 2 is how my mom does hers, so I like doing it when I can.
Method 1 - Preheat oven to 375º Fahrenheit. - Chop your potatoes to bite sized or smaller pieces. - Place potatoes in a pan - Toss in olive oil, salt and pepper to taste. Stir around a bit to minimize sticking in pan. Place in oven for about 20 minutes or until tender.
Method 2 - Chop potatoes to bite sized or smaller pieces - Put enough vegetable oil in a pan to cover the bottom. - Heat over medium to high heat, cover and stir occasionally until tender. - Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Method 2 usually comes out with much softer potatoes. The frying and steaming is a great combo for potatoes in breakfast burritos.
Tofu Scramble - Place 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a non-stick or cast iron skillet. - Put in minced or pressed garlic and heat on medium heat. - Put in diced onion, bell peppers, mushrooms, jalapenos, whatever veggies you like. - When the onions are clear put in the tofu - Stir occasionally, and put in just enough Turmeric to get a pale yellow color. (It gives the meal some authenticity, and adds a nice subtle flavor.) - Let the scramble sit in the same position to get a nice brown color on the bottom, then stir. Do this periodically. - Season with salt, pepper, Spike, crushed red pepper, Italian spices, or others of your favorites. Get creative. - If you're using a sausage product, feel free to crumble it and toss it in here. Most of them are pre-cooked and just need to be heated up. - When these are getting close to done, check on your potatoes (either method) and if they're getting close just toss them in this pan.
Burritos - Ideally, take a clean and seasoned cast iron skillet and place empty over medium heat. (I've also heated tortillas directly on the electric burner, but I understand that might not be for everyone. These are my preferred methods, but in lieu of that, heat tortillas as the package recommends, assuming you've not made your own.) - Place a cold flour tortilla in, flipping occasionally until soft and warm. Tortillas should be pliable and not crispy. - Place tortilla on a plate, put a couple of spoonfuls of Tofu Scramble and potatoes and wrap.
Enjoy.
Source of recipe: This is how I make my breakfast burritos every weekend.

Preparation Time: 
20 minutes, Cooking time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 
20 minutes
Servings: 
4-6
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

I forgot to mention in the original recipe something about the potatoes.  For Method 2, the key is keeping them covered while they cook.  The steaming is just as important as the frying.  It makes them softer faster, and generally adds to the delicious-ness.

0 likes

This was my second attempt at trying a recipe on this website.  ;)b I must say that I loved this and my husband loved it too (He's the meat eater in the family, and he has a disdain for tofu.)  I did add soy sauce, cayenne pepper, ground flax seed, basil, and mushrooms to the tofu.  I didn't use any green peppers because I didn't have any at the time.  We ate this on a wrap that I fried >:D as a burrito. I must say it was EXCELLENT!!!! ;D

0 likes

This is a great recipe and my family was actually full. Now, that I know the whole process I have came up with a system to making this meal faster. Other than that, GREAT RECIPE!

0 likes

Has anyone tried to freeze this and microwave for a fast breakfast? I've been reading about how to do this with regular, egg-and-sausage burritos (since I'm a college student and rarely wake up early enough to eat breakfast, let alone make it), but obviously I don't eat egg-and-sausage. Wondering if it'll work the same way with Tofu and Soysage.

0 likes

Made these tonight for my packed lunch and dinner tomorrow. I didn't have extra firm tofu, so I put my firm microwave in the microwave for 60 seconds, which helped firm it up. I used zucchini, baby corn, frozen mushrooms. Chopped tomatoes and added them after the tofu. I also added chili powder in the end. I feel like its missing SOMETHING, but i can't detect it. Still very very nice recipe, and I am looking forward to eating it tomorrow :)>>> My fridge is now clear of my leftover veggies! Thank you!

0 likes

This is sooo good!  I really didn't know what to expect, but it looked so good that I had to try it.  I only used what I had in the house, so that was garlic, cooking onion, green pepper, potatoes, salt, pepper, parsley, italian spice mix, red pepper flakes and the tumeric.  I added in some flax seed near the end of cooking, and made the burrito with a mild salsa.

I will def be making this again, next time with some mushrooms and maybe some red peppers. MMMMM

0 likes