4 cups chopped apples
1 cup sugar
2 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup vegetable oil
egg replacer for two eggs (1 Tbsp. replacer + 4 Tbsp. water)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
1 cup raisins (optional)

What you do: 

In a large bowl, whisk together the egg replacer and water. To this, add all the other "wet side" ingredients and mix. Add the dry ingredients (except the walnuts and raisins) and mix well. Fold in the walnuts and raisins, then pour into prepared cupcake pan with paper liners. Bake at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Dust with powdered sugar if desired.
This was originally a recipe for a regular cake, and can be made that way by pouring into a 9 X 13" pan and increasing the baking time to 35-45 minutes.
Source of recipe: This is a modified recipe from one that is non-vegan: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Fresh-Apple-Cake-II/Detail.aspx

Preparation Time: 
15 minutes, Cooking time: 25-35 minutes
Cooking Time: 
25-35 minutes
Servings: 
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

:)>>>I made these for a baby shower and they were a big hit.  The guest of honor is lactose intolerant, and I wanted to bring something that she could safely eat.  She loved them as did everyone else.  The only changes I made to the recipe was I substituted unsweetened, natural applesauce for half of the oil.  I also added an additional half cup of applesauce because the batter was too dry.  I will most definitely be making these again!  Thanks for the great recipe!

0 likes

These cupcakes were fantastic, though, I wouldnot serve them as a cupcake next time.  I thnk they'd make a better breakfast treat, like a muffin.  They are soft and fluffy but just very breakfasty.  I substituted sunflower oil for the vegetable oil and also pureed a cup of the apples with a bit of water because I thought the batter was too dry.  I do think they would've come out too dry if I hadn't added the puree.  The end result was perfection!

0 likes

i cant wait to try these out tomorrow.. im makin them for fathers day.. they look sooo yummy!

0 likes

This recipe is very forgiving, which is what I like about it!  Yeah, the only thing is having to peel, core and chop all those apples... I usually use a food processor to help.  But the work is SO worth it!  Thanks for commenting!

0 likes

These were really easy to make, the only thing was that it took ages to chop the apples.
I added a little more than half a cup of raisins, and Almonds instead of walnuts.
At first the batter texture worried me, because it was a lot drier than I usually find cupcake batters to be. I blended about a cup of the apples and added a little water, and they turned out moist and fabulous so I'm not really sure I needed to have done that.

thanks for the recipe, it made me very happy, now I have the energy to go mow the lawn ;)

0 likes

Those cakelettes look beautiful :)>>>

0 likes