Member since March 2005

Vegan Spaetzle

What you need: 

water
dash salt
dash oil
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon nutmeg (ground or fresh grated)
dash white pepper
4 egg substitutes (http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=7678.0)
1/2-3/4 cups water

What you do: 

1. Set a large pot of water to boil on the stove with a dash of salt and a bit of oil. Mix the dry ingredients together then add the liquid. The dough should form a consistency of very thick gooey pancake batter.
2. When the water comes to a boil, force the dough through a spaetzle board using a rubber spatula. Unfortunately most standard kitchen supply stores do not have a ready stock of spaetzle boards. They are available online, or you can just go old school and 'cut' them.
3. To cut by hand, prop a cutting board over the boiling water and plop an amount of dough on the board. Using a chef's knife or metal spatula, cut/scrape bits of the dough into the boiling water. The doughy droplets should be about the size of a marble- if a marble was a misshapen gooey mass of yumminess. As you cut the dough, be sure to dip your spatula in the water regularly to prevent the dough from sticking to it.
4. When the happy little lumps of batter float, they are done cooking. Be sure not to over cook. It is better to make two batches than have some that are over done which will yield a slimy texture. Drain the spaetzle and they are ready to eat.
They are even better if sauteed in a bit of oil or margarine with some onions and or bell peppers. Really the variations on these little guys are endless. Try adding a bit of chopped spinache to the dough or different types of herbs like basil or oregano or chives. I like serving them up with a veggie patty and covering with a mushroom red wine sauce.
Spaeztle are a somewhere in between a noodle and a dumpling. They are very common in German, Austrian, and Swiss cuisine and are often served as a side accompanying a main dish that has a gravy or sauce for them to soak up.
En Guete!
Source of recipe: Family recipe

Preparation Time: 
10 minutes, Cooking time: 20-30 minutes
Cooking Time: 
20-30 minutes
Servings: 
4-6
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

ahh!!!
i lived in switzerland for a few years when i was little, and my faaavorite thing was spaetzle. it was a huge bummer to find out they were all full of eggs and things. but now! this recipe! yayy.

what egg substitute do you recommend?

I've always used EnerG egg substitute.  Having not tried any other types, I can only speak on that one.  But it works pretty well.  By the way I listed the recipe with water.  Traditionally it would have called for milk, but I've recently tried soy milk with pretty good results as well.  Good luck!

Yes, good results :)

A GREAT AND HEALTHY EGG SUBSTITUTE IS COCONUT MILK.
Thanks for the recipe.

I prepared mine with carmelized onions and chopped portabella mushrooms and vegan cheese. mixed it all in a oven-safe dish with a few doplets of olive oil and cooked at 400 for 15-20 mins. YUMMMMYY

0 likes

OMG, I live in Alsace, and I looove spaetzle, but I don't love all the egg it calls for.  Yayayayay.  Thank you!

0 likes

Yum! I made these with seitan schnitzel, mushroom gravy, and roasted carrots. They were perfect, just like I remember spaetzle! Instead of boiling them in water, I used veggie broth and then sauteed them with Earth Balance, garlic, and topped with parsley. Delicious!

0 likes

ahh!!!
i lived in switzerland for a few years when i was little, and my faaavorite thing was spaetzle. it was a huge bummer to find out they were all full of eggs and things. but now! this recipe! yayy.

I've always used EnerG egg substitute.  Having not tried any other types, I can only speak on that one.  But it works pretty well.  By the way I listed the recipe with water.  Traditionally it would have called for milk, but I've recently tried soy milk with pretty good results as well.  Good luck!

Yes, good results :)

0 likes

ahh!!!

0 likes

ahh!!!

0 likes