1/4 green chile pepper, chopped
pinch of chopped parsley
salt
chili powder
cayenne pepper
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon olive oil
sugar
1/4 cup refried beans (I used Amy's brand)

What you do: 

Put the rice and about a 1/2 cup of water into a pot and season to taste with chili powder and cayenne pepper. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and add the onion, pepper, parsley, and diced tomato. I threw in a couple of tablespoons of the canned tomato juice as well. Add salt to taste and allow to simmer for about 50 minutes, or until rice is cooked.
Now to prepare the flatbread. Mix olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon of salt, 2 teaspoon sugar, and most of the flour in a bowl. I had to play around with the salt to sugar ratio a bit, so perform a quick taste test and make necessary adjustments. Add flour and knead the dough until you have a ball that isn't sticking to the bowl. The outside can be floury to the touch. Flatten the ball with your hands to about a 1/2 inch thickness. No rolling pin necessary. Now whip out a frying pan and cook it like a pancake. If there's enough flour, you shouldn't have to worry about sticking.
Heat up your refried beans, spread them on your flatbread and top it with the rice. This recipe makes a substantial single servings and was very much improvised, so comments and suggestions are more than welcome!

Preparation Time: 
10 minutes, Cooking time: 60 minutes
Cooking Time: 
60 minutes
Servings: 
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

I made this for my toddler and myself.  I found that I needed to add a couple tablespoons of water to make the flatbread form a usable dough.

I'm going to try it again and tinker with cooking times.  Really had to pay close attention to the flatbread, or it gets a little scorched.  Nice flavour though,  Thanks for posting.

0 likes