1 medium size zucchini
1 large round tomato
1 teaspoon turmeric or Daniel's Secret Tofu Seasoning
1 teaspoon lemon pepper
salt
pepper
olive oil

What you do: 

First we need to prepare our rice since it takes the longest to cook. Sufficient quantities of leftover rice would work since we mix everything together in the end. If you are starting out with uncooked rice, add about half a teaspoon of the turmeric to the rice to give it a nice yellowy glow once its finished cooking.
Next we need to start the tempeh. Cut the tempeh (usually a long rectangle from the brand I buy) into 8 equal size triangles. They should roughly be large bite size pieces. Depending on your tempeh you may want to make more or less pieces, but the key is to make them all uniform in size. Put the pieces of tempeh in a pot and cover with about one inch of water. Put half a teaspoon of turmeric, the tablespoon of "poultry" seasoning, and a large pinch of salt into the water and stir. Bring the water to a boil and then bring the temp down to simmer the pieces for at least 20 minutes or until the rice is done. My brand of "poultry" seasoning lists the ingredients as thyme, sage, marjoram, rosemary, black pepper and nutmeg. If you have dried versions of these on hand you could probably substitute a total equal amount without any issue.
Now we need to start cooking the last set of ingredients. Cut the yellow squash and zucchini into thick half round slices. Dice the tomato into small to medium size pieces. In a pan over medium heat, add enough olive oil to lightly coat the bottom, usually about a tablespoon. Add the squash, zucchini and tomato to the pan along with the lemon pepper. If you did not add the turmeric to the rice already, add the half teaspoon into the vegetable mixture now. Stir to distribute the ingredients in the pan. Once a little liquid has leached from the veggies and begun to boil, cover with a lid and reduce heat to low/medium-low. Let this mixture cook until it is broken down, usually about 15 minutes.
Once the rice, tempeh, and veggie mix are all done cooking, add the rice, drained tempeh, and veggies with all their liquid into a large bowl. Mix with a spatula or wooden spoon until everything is well incorporated. Add salt and pepper to taste if needed and re-mix. Everything should stick together like a casserole and the zucchini and turmeric will have given a cheesy color and mouth-feel to the rice.
Tip: Daniel's Secret Tofu Seasoning has salt in it so I usually put less salt in the recipe than normal when I use it in place of straight turmeric. You may want to cut back on how much salt you add up front to avoid having the dish come out overly salty.
Daniel Stringfield

Preparation Time: 
45 minutes
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

Be the first to add a comment.