You are here

Member since April 2008

Clean out the Crisper Veggies and Tofu with Couscous

What you need: 

1 cup couscous
1 tablespoon oil
2 cups water
1-2 veggie bouillon (mine were concentrated, so I just used 1)
a nice big dash of coriander (or whatever you like, coriander smelled good to me)
whatever veggies are in your crisper, chopped (I had leeks, broccoli, carrots and peas)
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
1 can diced tomatoes (optional, I needed some red)
1 package extra firm tofu (not silken), pressed and cubed
Marinade for Tofu:
soy sauce
lemon juice
spicy brown mustard
oil
black pepper

What you do: 

Dinner was on the fly last night and we needed to go to the store (but are going out of town for the weekend) so I used up the extra veggies that might have gone bad. Here's what I came up with.
After the tofu is pressed, whisk together the contents of your marinade (honestly, whatever amounts you like, I just used my head) and immerse cubed tofu. I put it in Tupperware and shook it up every 10 minutes or so for about a half hour.
Boil the 2 cups of water in a small saucepan. Once it's boiling, stir in your bouillon cube and the coriander (or you could just use veggie broth and coriander). Take it off the heat, stir in the couscous, cover and set aside.
Heat your oil in a large skillet and sauté your harder veggies (leeks, garlic, carrots, for me) until the oniony ones soften. At this point, I added about a half a cup of water for steaming purposes. Mix in the tomatoes, and place the broccoli and tofu (trash the marinade) on top. Cover and let simmer/steam for about 15-20 minutes, until your broccoli is tender but not brownish.
Serve over the coriander infused couscous and be amazed at how good this simple, easy supper is.

Preparation Time: 
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

Be the first to add a comment.