You are here

Member since October 2003

Soft Pretzels

What you need: 

1 1/3 cups warm water
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons yeast
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 cups flour (half and half white/whole wheat)
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups water
1 tablespoon baking soda
kosher salt, poppy seeds, and/or sesame seeds, to taste

What you do: 

1. Cover baking sheet with parchment. Combine warm water, sugar, and yeast. Let rest 10 minutes. Add oil, flour, salt, and knead for 10 minutes (or put in a bread machine).
2. Divide and roll into long ropes; shape into a pretzels. Place on prepared baking sheet until doubled in size, about 45 minutes.
3. Preheat oven to 450ºF. Bring water and baking soda to a boil. Liberally brush hot water/soda onto each pretzel and sprinkle with kosher salt, poppy seeds, and/or sesame seeds.
4. Bake or 12-15 minutes, flipping baking racks half way through if you have two sheets.
Source of recipe: Recipe reprinted from http://weblog.jessigurr.com/?p=177 with permission.

Preparation Time: 
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
6-8
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

Amazing, and super easy.

0 likes

These were amazing! I just took them out of the oven. I made half with oregano and salt and the other half with sugar and cinnamon. I tried the oregano and salt one and wow! I haven't had a soft pretzel in years, what a treat! The pretzel shape is so pretty.

I used all white flour because I didn't have wheat. I also cooked them directly on the sheet with oil since I don't have parchment, which worked out ok. They only stuck a little bit.

Thanks for this recipe, I will definitely be making these again!  :)

0 likes

I made nuggets with these and they turned out tasting just like pretzels.  Instead of brushing them with the baking soda water, I threw a few into the water at a time, then took them out and put them on a pan.  I only had to bake them for about five minutes though, otherwise the bottoms would burn and taste like hard pretzels. haha

I will definitely be making these again, the husband love them  ;)b

0 likes

I've made these a few times.  I've actually made them as nuggets, about  1.5 x .5 inch.  I have used a variety of different toppings.  Course sea salt and the original Mrs. Dash are my two favorites.  I did cinnamon and sugar once, but you need to turn the oven down and watch them very carefully.  I serve the savory ones with some sort of hummus, usually roaster garlic with sun dried tomatoes or roasted red peppers.  I think I'll try the cinnamon sugar ones again and serve them with the sweet potato hummus found here:  http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=37457.0

I love VegWeb!!! My poor cookbooks are getting dusty...

JJ :-)

0 likes

Pretty good!  Not quite as pretzel-y as I'd hoped, but still good nonetheless.  Topped some of mine with kosher salt and some with a mix of kosher salt, garlic and parsley.  I prefer the garlic ones...next time I'll add garlic to all of them...tasted more like authentic bar pretzel to me.  All in all, mighty good with a beer ^_^

0 likes

. Thanks!

0 likes

i sprinkled the tops of these with garlic seasalt before i put them in to bake. they are AMAZING. the water and baking soda make the outside crisp just enough for a crunch and to be the dark brown a pretzel should be, and the insides were soft and delicious. i imagine that they would be stellar dipped in hummus.

0 likes

These were fabulous. We used whole wheat pastry flour, and they were incredibly moist and fluffy. We topped them with a combination of sea salt and garlic powder - yum! They were very tasty with whole grain mustard.

0 likes

i was sad when these didnt come out so great because it was a lot work :'(
i used all white whole wheat four because its what i had and baked them for 15 minutes on 450. i should have either taken them out sooner or baked them at a lower temp because they came out kinda hard.

0 likes

Just a tip: grease your parchment paper.  I didn't and the pretzels stuck like crazy.  We ended up eating some of the paper because it wouldn't come off.  ::) Good recipe though...although I agree that the whole wheat flavor is a bit strong, and I only used 2/3 cup whole wheat and 1 1/3 cup white.  My olive oil is a bit strong too, so I'll use a more neutral-flavored oil next time.

0 likes

Pages