Fluffy Coconut Frosting

What you need: 

1/2 cup vegan shortening
1/2 cup Earth Balance or vegan margarine
3-3 1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup coconut milk
optional: 1 teaspoon coconut or vanilla extract

What you do: 

Cream together the shortening and butter for 3 minutes. (Optional: Use 1 cup of just shortening or just margarine.) Add extract and coconut milk and beat another 5-8 minutes. (Optional: Chill for 30 minutes to have a dense fluffy frosting). Frost cooled cupcakes or cake.

Preparation Time: 
15 minutes active and 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

Very creamy and fluffy. I mixed in 1/2 bag of melted chocolate chips and 1 chocolate bar to make chocolate icing.

0 likes

awesome frosting! so tasty! perfect consistency! love it! i used coconut extract and it has a nice yummy coconut flavor! sooooo good!

0 likes

I'm going to try this today to frost a mini muffin version of the vegan Mango Coconut Cake.  What about using coconut cream instead of coconut milk?

0 likes

Coconut icing is the best! For ultimate coconut flavor I recommend adding a little coconut oil, and shredded coconut as well. This makes the icing supppper delicious.  :>

0 likes

This frosting is good, but there's not enough coconut flavor.  I reccomend putting coconut shreds in it, and only using coconut extract and not vanilla.  I put a whole extra teaspoon in and it still is hardly coconutty.

0 likes

The directions don't say when to add the sugar. :(

I added sugar after I finished the mixing in the coconut milk & extract step.  :)

0 likes

I was very pleased with this recipe.  It was nice & thick & fluffy.  I did not have coconut extract so I used vanilla.  Just in case anyone is wondering, it will not have a coconut flavor unless you use coconut extract.  The coconut milk alone,  does not add a coconut flavor to the frosting.  I added some shredded unsweetened coconut to the frosting & frosted the Carrot & Nothing Else Cake http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=13696.0 from this site.  I will definitely use this recipe again - thanks for posting!

0 likes