Bars:
3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 1/2 cups oats (quick oats work best)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 teaspoon canola or vegetable oil
1/2-2/3 cup sugar (depending on how sweet you want)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon chocolate or coconut extract, optional
1-3 tablespoons nondairy milk
1/2 cup vegan semi-sweet chocolate chunks or chips
1/4-1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut Glaze, optional:
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon black cocoa powder
1-2 tablespoons coconut milk
splash vanilla extract

What you do: 

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and spray an 8 x 8" baking dish with nonstick spray. In a large bowl, combine flour, oats, baking soda and powder, and salt.
2. In a separate bowl, combine applesauce, oil, sugar, vanilla,and other extract (if using). Add wet to dry and mix until combined. The mixture will be very thick, so add milk a little at a time until it holds together well.
3. Fold in coconut (reserving a small portion for the top) and chocolate chunks. Press into baking dish and sprinkle over remaining coconut.
4. Bake for 21-23 minutes. If using glaze, whip together glaze ingredients with a fork. Spread on bars while still slightly warm.
You could also melt some chocolate chips and spread that over the top. Sometimes I'm even more decadent and put toasted coconut on top of the glaze!
Servings: 9 large squares or 12 smaller ones,

Preparation Time: 
10-15 min
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

These bars are so tasty!  I used 1/2 cup sugar and they weren't overly sweet, but I think next time I will use a little less sugar.  I didn't have vanilla, chocolate or coconut extract so I just used 1 & 1/2 almond extract.  I'm a big fan of almond extract so I will probably use it in the future, as I plan on making these often!  I realized I only had about a cup of oats after I had already started so I just used 1/2 cup bran flakes and about a tablespoon ground flax.  I love a little flax flavor in baked goods.  I made about 1/3 of the glaze and drizzled it on top.  Very good but totally unecessary, I won't waste the time or ingredients next time.

0 likes

I just made these and they smell sooooooooo good.  I cant wait for them to cool down.  I used smashed banana instead of applesauce and a little extra vanilla because I did not have coconut extract (def must get).  To glaze or not to glaze that is the question, lol.  :D

0 likes

I think i may be doing something wrong with these. I did have to make a rather significant alteration (gluten free) but they out quite different than they look and im not sure if thats why. My bars came out more like an oversized flattened muffin, not very cooke or bar like. My th elook and description i expected them to be more like a majic cookie bar if you know what those are. Bottom line i was expecting more ganola or crispy texture was i wrong or did i screw it up?

0 likes

Super easy and delicious! I used 2/3 cup of sugar, 3/4 cup chocolate chips, and extra oil instead of soymilk because I was worried about the texture with so little oil. The chocolate chips didn't stick to the dough very well so I ended up scooping the dough into the pan, spreading it out, and them sprinkling all of the extra chocolate chips on top. Anyway, they turned out perfectly sweet and tasty with a nice soft and chewy but not cakey texture!

0 likes

I think these were perfect as is (without the glaze). I wouldn't be opposed to trying it with the glaze, but it didn't even need it! I love coconut and chocolate together. Lately I have been wanting a lot of sweets (bad, I know!) and wanted to try a few different recipes that I came across, this being one of them. Amazing!!
I used regular pastry flour because I couldn't find whole wheat, used the full 2/3 cups sugar (organic unrefined cane sugar), a little more than 1/2 cup chocolate chips (probably 2/3-3/4 cup) and 1/2 cup coconut PLUS more coconut for on top. What can I say, I love the stuff ;) I wish I had coconut extract, 'cause I'm sure that would have added more to it's awesomeness. I had to add more than 3 tablespoons of soymilk, but that's probably because I added more chocolate and coconut.
These taste good right out of the oven, but they are even better the next day :) 5 stars!

0 likes

This is great! just made it today, super easy to make! Thanks

0 likes

What a tasty recipe, but next time I'll do things a little differently.

I only had 1/3 cup sugar left and I def. should have used more.  At least 1/2 cup or full 2/3.

Increase the amount of choc. chunks (because I'm a choc-a-holic) to 1 whole cup!  :D

I think a glaze is a good idea with this recipe too, although I think I'd just go for a layer of melted chocolate on top!

The finished product is delicious, I love how moist and chewy these are, I'll definitely be making them again, just with lots more chocolate next time!  Thanks for such a yummy recipe.

0 likes

Oh my gosh, these sound really good!  These must be those really awesome ones you've talked about before!

Yeah I love these and so does Lucas!  You should make a mini-batch for youself  :)

0 likes

Oh my gosh, these sound really good!  These must be those really awesome ones you've talked about before!

0 likes

this is VERY good....and i messed it up because i thought i had shredded coconut but did not. i put some cococut extract in...totally yummy. ;)b

0 likes